Diagnose wierd starting problem on Ford Focus TDci 1.6 (2009

It's really the voltage upon cranking that's the important one, Pete.....for all I know, the lights may actually switch off on cranking, just to save the battery.
The problem however does to seem on the low current side i.e that goes from the ignition switch to the small terminal on the starter solenoid.......hence PeterN's test and me wanting to check it with a replacement starter!
John :)

Sponsored Links
John, the Fordson Major had the handle to engage the starter, not sure if some of the earlier Fergusons had it or not.

That would be it. The friend who I think was talking about it had various old tractors at one time or another on the timber. Certainly Fordson Majors and Fergies, and also Field Marshalls, with the cartridge starter.

Sponsored Links
The Coffman starter, hey......I believe they turned a gear which in turn spun the starter pinion.
I suppose there was a small turbine in there somewhere......truly a machine for men and brave mice!
John :)

I think the Marshall one pushed the piston down directly, like a compressed air start. (Pause for bit of online research) Looks like that's right.
The whole thing here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA

The Aero engine ones have a turbine.
"Can you explain these cartridges in your pocket sir. . ." :)

My first cars had a handle to start the engine. :D

We have one or two Field Marshalls round and a Lanz.

Peter

Back