Ford tdci engine ticking,,,???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,,,I'd not changed the oil on my Ford focus for at least three years,,,not that I do many miles in it, it usually only gets used to go to the shops etc, anyway I took it for a long drive one day for a few hundred miles on motorway etc and a ticking developed and a smell of burning oil in the car, I changed the oil not long after but ticking still persists, it usually goes away after the car is warm or some days it doesn't even happen,,,what is it and how to I get it to stop I wonder,,,??? Its 2010 1.6 tdci,,, I've been reading about using carbon cleaner and engine flush etc,,, any thoughts anyone,,,???

Sponsored Links
I would guess the ticking - if it is at the top of the engine- is the hydraulic valve lifters.
These things do suffer from dirty oil but there’s a good chance things will quieten down after a while.
As for the oil smell, did you spill any on the exhaust or whatever?
John :)

Loose injector that tightens when engine gets hot? That could account for the oil smell. My mate had that on his 1.4 tdci Fiesta.

Last edited:
No spilled oil on engine,,,I read somewhere when the oil gets too thin it can burn up and cause carbon,,,the oil smell went away as soon as the oil was changed,,,I guess its the hydraulic lifters but what can I do to stop it,,,???,,, engine flush then another oil change,,,???

Sponsored Links
If the engine has an acoustic cover on the top, lift it away and look for any leaks around the injectors and rubber leak off pipes that return unused fuel back to the tank......things should be quite obvious. Also check for deterioration of any larger rubber pipes going to the air cleaner. This is part of the PCV or positive crankcase ventilation system which tries to ensure that no fume escapes to the atmosphere.
Regarding the hydraulic lifters....they all produce a slight rustle and the odd tapping sound, and the only thing you can easily do is to use oil of the correct spec and change it yearly.
Please remember, I haven't heard yours but it does seem likely!

I took the engine acoustic cover off earlier today and number 3 injector has a substance around its base like toffee or tar but rock hard,,,I've read that the copper seals at the bottom of injectors leak and that's what causes this, maybe running the car on a long journey with the thin oil that had been in years had caused it to overheat and ruin the copper washer,,,???,,,could it be the injector that's ticking because it's caked in the tar like substance and needs cleaning plus new copper seals,,,???...

Some engines are prone to injector leaks - the 1.4 tdci in particular. It is the copper washer at the base of the injector that is the trouble and replacing it isn't always a cure.
If your engine is behaving well and ticking over nicely I'd leave well alone....getting a tar stuck injector out can be a nightmare.
Look at the tarry mess with the engine running - is there any sign of leakage or chuffing at all?

Back