Diagnosing possible overrun issue? Potterton suprima and boilermate 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the facts so far...

I have a potterton suprima in the kitchen cupboard paired with a boilermate 2 upstairs in the airing cupboard. The boiler mate has two pumps, one connected to "heating flow" and the other to "primary return heat generator"

A month ago we were woken to a loud buzzing which I tracked down tobthe delay timer pcb in the boilermate, I replaced the pcb with a "better than new" ebay version. A week later I drained the system and swapped a radiator on the ground floor with a much larger one. I had to rebalance the system (all the lock shields were open) to get the new rad to heat.

I couldnt say whe the problems began but the boiler often switches off and flashes red/green (ends up amber) it does this for awhile and switches back on. I've narrowed it down to this happening when the heating has turned off and after a few minutes it seems to overheat. If the heating is turned back on it seems to cool down in 5-10min and the boiler will reignite and all will be well. When the boiler turns off the primary return pump will stay on but the heating pump will turn straight off. Less frequently it will enter this off mode even while the heating is on.

I've reopened the lock shield on the bathroom radiator in case thats used as a cooling mechanism. Turned all the pumps to max speed in case the water isn't shifting fast enough.

So what's happening? Is the overrun not functioning? Should the central heating pump stay on to help shift the hot water? Is the new pcb maybe screwed? I've bled the rads and both pumps.

Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back