Potterton Suprima 30L and Boilermate 2000 Hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I bought a house in Oct, fairly new house it was built in 2001 (ish) and I have joy of inheriting a Potterton Suprima and Boilermate nightmare.

We have the following setup:

- Potterton Suprima 30L - 100L
- Boilermate 2000

When we moved in there was no central heating and the Boliermate was switched to emergency electric hot water. The Suprima wouldnt fire at all.

We got a plumber in who I dont think really knew what he was doing. He replaced the PCB. He didnt check if the gas valve was faulty and this blew the new PCB.

The next plumber installed a new gas valve and a new PCB and it was working fine for a couple of weeks. However, during the festive period the Suprima again broke down, red flashing light.

I did a full restart of everything, right from the mains switch and the Suprima came back online and was working fine for about 20 mins until it sshowed a red flashing light again. I retried many times and it failed. When left for a wihle and restarted it will run again but only briefly.

Got the plumber to come back and it started working again but only for about 2 hrs by which time he had left with his £60 + VAT.

I am now resorting to trying to fix it myself. Looking at the Suprima I am not convinced the problem is with the boiler itself so I have turned my attention to the Boilermate 2000.

Running through the diagnostics test I have come to the conclusion that one of the sensors on the Boilermate 2000 is faulty as I get 'Er' when selecting Sw2 & Sw2 again. The pump sounds like it is running ok.

Could this sensor be sending an incorrect signal to Suprima and causing the flashing red light?

Cheers
Phill

Sponsored Links
if you have the new pcb on the suprima it will narrow the fault down by the number of flashes the red light does. read the new instructions for the pcb.

BM2000's do seem to eat sensors so its a possibility but unless its a pump problem and its overheating the suprima the suprima shouldnt really be locking out for a fault on the bm2000. you really have to treat them as two seperate appliances.

try changing the thermista in the boiler these cost about 12 quid and just push in with 2 wire spades on this may work as it should have been changed with the pcb and gas valve/ good luck

No, check flame rectification devices and operation of ht lead.

Dont assume all suprimas have pcb faults

David

Sponsored Links
no, check the instructions, the boiler is telling you whats wrong.

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, I have done the following:

Replaced the sensor on the boilermate 2000 (lots of gushing water but was ok in the end) and this fixes the error it was reporting, but as was suggested above it didnt fix the Suprima issue.

Back to the Suprima...

I got the "Replacement of Controls Assembly manual" which the last plumber left when he replaced the PCB.

- Switched boiler on
- Ran fine for 30 mins
- Red flashing light, non-stop, one sec intervals
- Pressed reset for >10secs
- Red light flashes in 1 sec intervals 8 times, pauses 2 secs and then does another 8 flashes...etc

I checked the manual and:

- 2 flashes every 5 secs is Ignition Lockout
- 5 Flashes every 10 secs is Overheat Lockout

The overheat lockout sounds right to me because when it has cooled it will work again for a while but I have 8 flashes not 5. :(

Manual says the overheat lockout could be because of:

- Bad overheat stat
- Bad thermistor
- Bad wiring
- Bad PCB

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Phill

Check primary pump on boiler mate. Bet it has air in it or worn out. Fault you are getting is due to no flow through the boiler.

Manual says the overheat lockout could be because of:

- Bad overheat stat
- Bad thermistor
- Bad wiring
- Bad PCB

I usually check to see if it is "overheating" in that situation ;)

I know Boilermate 3 is often wired up with no pump overrun on the Suprima, using its own pump delay PCB instead.

I don't know how the 2000 series does it (at home so no manuals) but I would check that there is a form of pump overrun working. Are there any cables attached to the Suprima's 'pump terminals'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back