diagnostic please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my back boiler light goes out, "baxi-bermuda 552" gc no. 4407750
I relight same using appropriate buttons, boiler fires up when I release
and will burn for varying ammounts of time.
Is this more likely to be the thermo-coupler £4.00 or a gas valve £120.00 plus vat and fitting costs.
My dillema is I have nowhere to install the so-called "modern globe warming type."
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :(
Thank you powell. I would now like to be able to ask my "rgp" why his work was that price. is work by rgps' not gauranteed?. As a retired male nurse I hate to think my profession worked in the same way.
Thanks again forn your most respecfull reply.
Would it be reasonable for me to ask him to at least replace the thermo-coupler as the present one is more than 15 years old?.
Thanks again powell

Sponsored Links
Do not play with your boiler!!!!

When was the last time it was serviced? Within the last year?

Call out a Gas Safe Engineer, this is not a DIY job, and no one on here will give you advice regarding tinkering with your boiler.

Ask friends or family to recommend someone.

Andy

I am not, repeat,not tinkering ,sir. I am asking so that I can work out the overall costs. ie electric alternative. etc. As to maintainance my boiler was over hauld by a registersd plumber a week ago. Same fault. £70.00
worth. I am therefore in a dilemma. Hence my question

It could be any one of a number of issues but as this is an open flued appliance and therefore more likely to be dangerous if not maintained or fited properly i strongly recomend you get an rgi who knows what they are doing.

As an aside 70 quid to service fire and backboiler seems a touch cheap.....read into that what you will

Sponsored Links
just to check, you say he was a registered gas installer, attended to the same fault, charged you £70 and the fault is still present?

did he fit a new thermocouple, and was it working when he tested it before leaving?

to reply, use the
reply.gif
button below

Hi johnd no he did not replace anything but he did a lot of blowing down
something. he also cleard some brwn dust from the chimney.
He switched it on and said "we will see how it goes. It may require a new gas valve". The last one he heared was very dear, £128.00.
Thats why I asked my origional question. Thanks again johnd. :)

Did this guy actually service the boiler or was he just there attending to your fault?

Sounds to me like it needs a good service and new thercouple. Depending on what it's recently had of course!

First thing to do it get that guys details and check him out then assuming everything checks out get him back. He charged you £70 and it sounds like it hasn't got you very far.

Hi johnd no he did not replace anything but he did a lot of blowing down
something. he also cleard some brwn dust from the chimney.
He switched it on and said "we will see how it goes. It may require a new gas valve". The last one he heared was very dear, £128.00.
Thats why I asked my origional question. Thanks again johnd. :)

If he's serviced it he should have stripped the whole thing down and hoovered it all out. Plus a multitude of other checks too!

I certainly wouldn't be changing the gas valve without changing the thermcouple first. I often change then during a service anyway, particularly if they're looking a little worn.

Thank you andygasman and johnd..I will ask him to replace the thermo-coupler as a start. Hope that will help. I have found on-line that there is
a bermuda baxi back boiler I could have fitted in my fireplace to replace my present one which is about 20 years old anyway. Although my brother has a free standing boiler thats over thirty years old and still gives him
hot water and heating. He's had one thermo-c replaced and some asbestos type rope gasget around the window, so who knows, mine may
still have somtime to go.
Thanks again fellars Scouser6 :LOL:
PS any idea as to how much a baxi b/b is today? :eek:

Your BBU should last a long time, just keep up the maintainance.

You can get condensing back-boilers now, i think they're about £1200 off the shelf including an electric fire. Expect a hefty instalation charge though!

thanks a million andygasman,to say nothing about vat. All the best to everyone for the comments and advce scouser6 :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back