Diagonal Bracing

26 Nov 2012
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi, i've attached a quick sketch of my truss, i've highlighted the part in red which needs replacing, i think its called a diagonal brace.

I would like to know the best wood and nails for the job and where's the best place to buy these, live in UK so B&Q ok?

Sponsored Links
The easiest thing to do is get some 12-15mm ply and splint it together with some 8mm bolts or lots of screws.
The most popular and the easiest is the plywood method as from catlad post, it's best not to removed the bracing unless you're supporting it around it, where is the split or damaged, any photo? Some people use L-shape (metal angle iron)
Sponsored Links
No truss manufactured as your sketch.
What you appear to have is a cut roof with top collar, purlin and the strut marked red is a diagonal purlin strut braced back to as near as possible to load bearing partition.
If this is the case, two strips of laminated plywood are of no use what so ever.
You need a length of sawn carcassing timber the same size and pattern as the existing strut, half dozen 100mm nails and ditto 75s
Regards oldun

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local