Truss diagonal bracing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got trusses to put up for my extension, the ceiling span is 7m and the roof width is 3m. According to the truss plans I need the do a "X" diagonal bracing each side of the roof, so the diagonal braces need to cross over each other. I'm trying to understand the detail for intersecting them, I've seen stuff about using a 600mm splice plate to join them but can't seem to find anyone who stocks such a thing. If anyone's ever done this and got any pointers it'd be much appreciated as always!

Sponsored Links
Just use something like 100 x 25; they will obviously bend a little where they overlap, but as long as each brace is securely nailed to the trusses, it will be OK.

Really?! Yeah the bracing is 100x25ish.
That sounds almost too good to be true, but I'm not complaining!

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody, yeah I wanted to do a W pattern but because the roof span is twice the width, the diagonals would be nowhere near 45 degrees. So I think I need to go with Xs. But if as Tony says I can just cross em over bending one across the other then it's not a problem

So if I do what I've sketched (badly) below, that's what I'd like to do, but it's my understanding that it's not valid as they're at nowhere near 45 degrees as it's such a narrow roof. They're at more like 22.5 degrees if you see what I mean

Attachments

• 1503577903635-1923350008.jpg
    1503577903635-1923350008.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 203
Where are you getting 45° from?
You brace from one corner to one corner under the top chord (rafter) and from center to corner on the bottom chord (tie), and then across the trusses at 90° at each junction of the chords and braces (ie whereever there is a nail plate)

From the doc you linked to above

Top left corner of screenshot = says 45degrees
Pic in bottom right corner = mines a 'narrow fronted roof '

Tempted to just do as you say, but definitely suggests otherwise in the doc

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-08-24-13-50-38-667.jpeg
    Screenshot_2017-08-24-13-50-38-667.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 251
where the two braces intersect, just split one of them into two and then put a splice in over the intersection making sure it covers at least three trusses including the one its bridging

Thanks can the splice be another of the same bracing wood or does it need to be steel or something?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back