Dial Thermostat turning itself up ~~Spooky!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an older -type Honeywell thermostat with a dial. It is not digital and not programmable. I leave it set at 65 degrees and it's always worked fine, up until now. For the last 3 nights in a row, I have been awoken to a hot house. I'll get up and check the thermostat and find it with the dial set at 80 degrees. Last night I made sure to check the thermostat before going to bed, it was set at 65 degrees. Woke up again this morning feeling hot, went to the thermostat and once again the dial was turned to 80. My husband is not touching it, he thought I was the one turning it up. This is really strange. Is there anything (besides the paranormal) that would cause the dial to turn on it's own? I'm trying to figure out if I need a new thermostat or a priest! :confused:

Sponsored Links
I have the Honeywell T6360 roomstat, which (so far this Autumn) seems to have developed a habit of increasing the temp by itself.... I keep it at 19 ° C, but keep finding it (after complaining the house is like an oven when I walk in), it has moved to 21-22 ° C... Other half swears she hasn't touched it, and stepson is never cold, (he has windows and doors wide open then wonders why I complain he's heating the garden.....), so is unlikely to (if he can even knows what it is!) to alter it....

Mine doesn't seem to be the only one.... Weird. :confused:

I don't think we sleep walk but am willing to set up a camera to see. This is getting wierder by the minute. I had a candle lit on top of my fireplace, decided to take a nap so I blew it out. When I awoke an hour later, the candle was lit again. Holy smokes, where is that camera? :eek:

Sponsored Links
If someone's playing games with me it's the unseen, I am home alone. :evil:

Thinking about it, you probably do need a Priest. I had a friend visit not long after I moved in, she told me there was an old lady in the house, (I assume previous occupier who had moved into a care home and later passed away.)

My friend also described several things that she couldn't have possibly known, and I was only aware of due to the old lady's furniture and some effects still being in the house when I viewed prior to purchase! I now suspect the old dear comes back to visit and must be cold! :LOL:

I realize this post is from 2013 but I went to the internet to see if anyone else was having weird things happen to their thermostat.
On occasion my family and I awake to a 80 degree thermostat !
It is a turn dial older one but NO ONE in my house touches it. I cannot figure out WTH is going on. This has been happening for years. I can feel when it is hot in the house and this morning I yelled down to my husband, is that stupid thermostat on 80 again??! His reply, yup.
Does anyone else other then the above post, have anything similar??
Very strange.
I really do not want my brain heading in the paranormal direction but there does not seem to be any other answer.

I think there is a woman in your house.

Some people think that turning a thermostat higher will warm the house faster. They are wrong.

Put some sellotape/scotch tape/3M tape over the dial to hold it in position - If it moves then, call the exorcist.(y)

some older ones buzz - could the vibrations be moving the heavier part (the pointy bit? internal construction of the dial?) downwards? Perhaps something has changed recently - with the internal parts - making it buzz more?

Or... Who ya' gunna call?

Have you seen Poltergeist? Any ancient burial grounds nearby?
I'd move house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back