Dial tone but can't ring out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, recently after having someone install karndean flooring I started to get a problem with the phone line. I think he has yanked or put the cable under some pressure at the master socket, weird thing is that I can only see that it be an extension cable that someone has put in underneath the carpet that he would've yanked/under pressure but the problem is there and we noticed it a few days after he left.

The problem

I get a dial tone and internet is working fine, can answer calls but cannot ring out. Have phoned BT and at one point was asked to remove the faceplate off the master socket and try the phone in the test socket and it worked.
I want to obviously try and fix this and so asking for your advise but also want to raise a few inches the location of the master socket and sink it in the wall, is that possible doing that I don't know?, then would like to sink and rewire one or both extension boxes and sink them into walls and chasing in for the cables. Don't like cable under carpet or running along skirting and architrave. I'm a plasterer so tidying up after this is my trade but to get there first is where I am stumped.
Please Help

Sponsored Links
Yep, if you're going to replace the extension cable, you may as well sink the new one into the wall if you can. It's a nice neat job. Cables dont last long under carpets as you have found out, and of course they are ugly on skirting boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back