diesel frozen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes the diesel was frozen one morning last week -19 just wondering if i could add some kerosine (heating oil ) to avoid this happening again
yes i know it is an illegal road fuel but is that not what they add to winter diesel fuel anyway to protect it to -17 or so
if so how much can i add ? per gallon
i assume that i would also have to add a wee drop oil too

Sponsored Links
Just adding kerosine should suffice, oil would not be necessary, have you renewed the fuel filter and drained water from water trap if fitted?
quantity to add? one gallon per ten of diesel.

Wotan

yes drained water trap week before was clean Vehicle sat out side for 2 days in simaliar conditions.
Would the customs & excise be happy with that

Depends largely on the age of your vehicle, if it hasd an IDI engine it will be far more tolerant of fuel dilution than a modern common rail unit. You could add petrol to the older ones without ill effect, no legality problem then.

Sponsored Links
Minus 19?? Where are you?
It was accepted that a 5% dilution of petrol to your diesel tank was ok, if you had a car with an indirect injection system, but these days they are all but gone now. Winter diesel has its own anti waxing additives which should be all you need. Change your fuel filter before winter, and bleed any water off from the filter bowl in good time.
John :)

In which case, its probably best to use a proprietory additive such as that produced by Millers Oils.
Many diesel vehicles have a fuel heater, either electrical or by radiator water.....what vehicle are you driving?

In which case, its probably best to use a proprietory additive such as that produced by Millers Oils.
Many diesel vehicles have a fuel heater, either electrical or by radiator water.....what vehicle are you driving?
ford connect common rail fuel system 150 k (not woth a lot)
basically i am just fishing to see if anyone is adding kerosine to their diesel to stop it from freezing
yes i know kerosine is not recomended for common rail systems but i reconed that if i diluted it enough 30 - 1 it should be enough to stop it freezing as winter diesel should protect to around minus 15 so only need to protect to around minus 20
+ kerosine costs a lot less than any additive
(provideing that it dont blow the injectors)
anyway i think summer is here only 6" of the white stuff left between the snow drifts and nearly 2 degrese

Sponsored Links
Back