Differant opinions?!

Thanks for confirming that a standby power supply would be needed. The specific situation of concern is not for copious qualtities of hot water but a few litres for essential cleaning purposes.

usually when events lead to abnormal usage and the family rows then start!

Having two cylinder thermostats helps there. The upper one controls heating the cylinder when normality is expected. When abnormality is possible then the control is switched ( manually ) to the lower thermostat.

Family rows also occur with a combi when one is in the shower and another wants to get the washing up done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the input guys the more that keeps coming the better.

Just to give you an idea of what i've been quoted..

First engineer £1800 for new boiler and installation. £250 per room for removal of old rads and new rads, £500 for a full flush and £250-300 for a new thermostat and wireless control hub.

Second engineer didn't really split it fully down as he said I can only give you an idea and that he'd prefer to come do a full quote and measure up. He advised that for a full combi system, including all new pipework, all new radiators (8), relocation of the meter and thermostat he advised at the top it'd be £3500. Which to me sounded very good for the job lot.

How about combi for sinks, and a tank for showers/baths. best of both ( no arguments between one in shower and one washing dishes), but trouble of both too (potential for breaks on both areas)...

That way can get away with a smaller tank?

Try getting hot water from a combi during a power cut. Maybe there is a combi that can provide hot water during a power cut, if there is please tell.

A friend in a rural village a long while ago was faced with a power cut for several days.

He powered his gas boiler from an inverter off his car battery.

He also ate the best food out of his freezer and claimed for the cost of "ruined food" off his insurance!

But power cuts are extremely rare now and the last I had was for about two hours during the evening about 9 months ago. I don't remember any other power cuts for at least three years before that.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back