Difference in gas bills between Band A and Band D boiler

Thanks Alec, Every boiler that I fit now is WC enabled though the biggest issue will be calls from customers complaining that their radiators are only warm and not hot enough to melt skin...

Sponsored Links
Alec persists in suggesting that boilers without compensating controls are only off, or full on with flow temperature at maximum. :rolleyes:
Wrong. The forum would be better without this sort of trolling.

I apply WC to my Turbomax manually at the moment.

That is when its cold outside I turn it up, when warm I turn it down!

But I am planning to automate the WC shortly.

Tony

But I am planning to automate the WC shortly.

Take it you are going to automate WC by getting someone else to dwiddle the control :D

Sponsored Links
Alec persists in suggesting that boilers without compensating controls are only off, or full on with flow temperature at maximum.
Wrong.

whoops sorry about this misleading information...with compensation controls the flow temperature varies in relation either to the outside temperature or the deviation from the room temperature...

today for example at my place the flow temp from my boiler is 42c... thats all it needs to be to hit 21c room temperature...at 21c the boiler will shut down. Clearly to maintain the flow temp of 42c the burner goes off!

On-off controls work to set points so with out a compensated controls the boiler would be working at set point (which rarely gets varied) and then shutting down, resulting in over heating...

Yes I know I go on about this but no one has ever given me (or anyone) a good case for controlling heating with on-off controls...

everyone I install for remains very happy with their heating systems and the stable temperatures the system produces

OP Altough it looks like a 10% difference that is not actually the case because a condensing boiler does not always run at 89% efficiency and if your system is not capable of sustaining a 22 degree temp fall across the flow and return then it will be in condensing mode for a very short time each time it is on .
The 89% does depend on the system allowing the boiler to achieve this

This is where compensation controls score hands down... the flow temperature is usually well below 56c...so the whole heat exchanger is condensing, rather than the return end...

whoops sorry about this misleading information...
I don't believe you.
If you were sorry you wouldn't be regurgitating it for the 2,579th time.

This has turned into Alec's vanity publishing site where he promotes the particular deviants of boilers and systems he likes to flog. By his own admission that's to establish a market niche, as he cares about how much money he makes, not about how well his customers do.

at my place the flow temp from my boiler is 42c... thats all it needs
Which means little except that it's on for longer than one with a higher flow temperature and for less time than one that's lower.

Alec claims it means more than that? But can't point to point to validated external references.
NOT boiler manufacturers' flagrantly puffy, figure-shy promo's, NOT his own (though he hasn't produced any, he's not up to that).

Otherwise it would be best if Alec stopped trolling the site.

This is where compensation controls score hands down...
More meaningless, sweeping assertions.

Original Poster:
More modern boilers always save over older ones. Clever control systems often give unexpected problems/issues. Concensus seems to be that it's usually more trouble than it's worth, to go very "clever". I've explained how I get to that conclusion, many times - I have feedback from a lot of others' installations. NB I'm not promoting any particular system.
"Usually" is heavily weighted by the large porportion which is coming from unsophisticated users with poor understanding - you may do better than those.

There have been improvements along the boiler-development way which give incremental percentages in efficiency. The biggest one was when we all had to go to condensing boilers, but they all had other efficiencies built in, and nobody's tried to separate them out. Boilers now control themselves to keep operating efficiently much better than they used to.

There's always some snake-oil salesman asserting that some squiddly feature is god's gift, because it's the thing HE pushes. Beware snake-oil salesmen and their unsubstantiated claims.

How much there is to save, depends where you start. If you compare modern best-controlled with ancient (worse than band D), you might win 30 - 40%, but the chances are that the house is better insulated etc as well, so numbers are unreliable.

Replacing middle aged non condensing combis with the best, wins you about 10% -15%, judging from a small number of my customers who have gone that route and measured reasonably carefully, and comparing seasonal use with my own system which hasn't changed, though they admit watching their energy use more carefully.

Chris you let yourself down with the personal attacks..but still thats your choice.

My clients have no issues with "clever controls" and experience is showing that both better comfort levels and enhanced economy is achieved.

Of course as with all controls the exact savings will depend upon user interaction with the system...much like driving a car...

I don't think you can blame me for the lack of research, but hey ho if you really want to!

Alec admits there is a lack of published research.
And he hasn't published any himself.
Yet he continues to make categorical statements on what he would like its conclusions to be, to suit his business model.

This is not the action of someone with integrity.

His clients have "no issues with controls". Well, coming from someone behaving as you do, the phrase
"Well you would say that wouldn't you", seems to appropriate.

I will continue to attack from time to time, persons with blatant desires to deceive.
Or those who in similar ways are a disgrace to the industry and or the site, deplorable , grossly ignorant and voluble, etc.

If they think that's personal, they're damned right.

Remember folks I'm not promoting any particular boiler or system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back