Boiler Scrappage scheme - don't get excited.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've already had several calls demanding all sorts of silly things.

Most old, non-condensing boilers do NOT qualify. The BBC this morning showed a Potterton Suprima, which is several efficiency bands more efficient than Band G, which it would have to be to qualify.

There are, we are told,
4,500,000 band G boilers in use, and there will be
125,000 grants. Enough for One in Thirty Six, then.

I have read that the new boiler installation has to cost £2000+.
Everyone will be looking for ways to fiddle the price up, but in reality you'll get quotes significantly lower than that for a straight replacement of most boilers. I am not going to fiddle my accounts to save you money - why should I?

Social services will be pushing poorish but not poor enough for Warmfront people towards their pet installers for a backhander - like they do now.

As it happens, my boiler qualifies. So I might get a grant for that. My brother's does, too. If all Registered Gas Installers do the same, that would also swallow them up.

Save yourself hassle and forget it.

Sponsored Links
Well Im gobsmacked.. my boiler is over 25 years old (a Ideal E-Type CF 60N) and its not on the list. Mind you.. if I have to stump up over £2K first I think I wont bother :confused:

BTW.. as this is my first post to these forums... HELLO :D

Not to start a swath of people asking whether their boilers are G-rated or not I already have plans to change my boiler from a Heat Only to a Combi boiler.

I currently have a Potterton Flamingo 40 and a hot water tank storage with immersion heater. I want to change to a combi boiler to have hot water on demand and get rid of the storage tank. I want a much more efficient boiler and be able to run a power shower off it.

What I would like to know is what is the best way to go about finding the right boiler and then more importantly where do I find a reliable fitter? Would anyone be able to give me a ball park figure of the cost? Will changing from a Heat Only to a Combi require much change to the pipework?

If you would like me to post this somewhere else please say. Thanks for any advice given.

Are you saying that only registered gas fitters can apply?
I have a boiler that qualifies and is to be replaced in the next couple of days,cant see how you apply though.
Sods law dictates that I am too early.

Sponsored Links
want to change to a combi boiler to have hot water on demand and get rid of the storage tank.
The customer's idea of what efficiency means, doesn't come into it.
There's nothing material about combis.

Are you saying that only registered gas fitters can apply?
Certainly not, but I can have papers to show that a boiler qualifies, and has 3 independent quotes, and has been replaced at a cost of £2001, in an envelope waiting for the start date.

Rather than argue about who can/cannot apply, why not Read the official information?

Installers, local authorities, social landlords and Housing Associations cannot apply. Only the householder or a private landlord can apply.

The existing boiler has to be in working condition, unless you are over 60.

You can use any installer/boiler you like.

You get a quote from an installer and then fill in the form. If successful you will get a voucher for £400. You have to pay the installer the full cost and then send off his invoice and the voucher. A few weeks later you get the £400 back.

Wrong!

The installer has to be appropriatly registered! So the Polish are not ( unually ) included.

"""The name / company name and address of the installer carrying out the work.

Gas Safe/OFTEC/HETAS or MCS registration number of installer."""

If you want a power shower,you need to keep the HW cylinder,cant do it with a combi.

Rather than argue about who can/cannot apply, why not Read the official information?

Installers, local authorities, social landlords and Housing Associations cannot apply. Only the householder or a private landlord can apply.

The existing boiler has to be in working condition, unless you are over 60.

You get a quote from an installer and then fill in the form. If successful you will get a voucher for £400. You have to pay the installer the full cost and then send off his invoice and the voucher. A few weeks later you get the £400 back.

Mr Hailsham,
I dont think anyone was actually arguing over who could apply, just a question thats all. How do they know that the existing boiler is working? Do they need a sworn statement from the installer?
I am afraid the information in the form provided tells you very little.

I dont think anyone was actually arguing over who could apply, just a question thats all.
Maybe arguing was the wrong word, but there was a load of hearsay and rubbish posted, e.g:

ChrisR said:
Social services will be pushing poorish but not poor enough for Warmfront people towards their pet installers for a backhander - like they do now.
Warmfront will only replace a boiler if it is broken down and unrepairable.
Social landlords and Housing Associations are excluded.
Any one who is not eligible for a Warmfront grant but "poorish" is unlikely to be able to afford the cost of a new boiler.

How do they know that the existing boiler is working? Do they need a sworn statement from the installer?
That does seem to be a grey area. I would have thought that anyone with a broken down boiler would want it replaced asap and not have to wait, may be several weeks, for their voucher to turn up as there is no point getting the work done before you have the voucher.

Warmfront are the exact opposite. You have to have a broken down, unrepairable boiler. The only problem is that Warmfront have already spent the 09/10 allocation, so you will have to wait until April at the earliest before you will get a new boiler. We had to fork out the money for a new boiler in my son's house because if this - and we can't get it back from Warmfront, even though he is eligible.

I suppose as usual we will get a few pages of everyone posting reckoning they know best about the scheme and joe bloggs is wrong :rolleyes:

I know nothing about it, want to know nothing about it, end of.

As it has nothing to do with the installer I will carry on doing my quotes and fitting my boilers.

As the customer has to sort it, I shall spend no further time deliberating on yet another electionairing scam :evil:

The BBC news has interviewed a lady with a Potterton Puma who is all excited about saving cash on her new boiler.... She's going to be disappointed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back