different finishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this over on the screwfix forum but i am not geting much luck, so i thought i might have more joy here. All advice welcome.

Hi guys, i need some advice about the differences between staining, waxing, poilshing, and varnishing.

Could you explain to me the different types of finish, what results you get, and where the different types of finish should be applied.

Thanks, newbie.

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys after searching the web for info it seems i have asked the wrong question, so i will start again.

I have just done some built in wardrobes made from birch ply, and it is now time to put a finish on them. I had planed on putting a varnish on them, but i am now starting to rethink that after reading through previous posts, also the customer isn't to keen on varnish but will accept varnish if it is the best finish.

What finish would be best for some units made from birch ply, would stain, dye, oil or varnish be best. Any advice you experienced boys can offer would be great.

Thanks, newbie.

Newby - stain and dye could mean the same thing, you are changing the colour or tone of the timber. In my experience staining suggests retaining a natural 'timber' colour; dyeing suggests a broader palette (reds, greens, blues, pinks, etc.).

The timber will then need some sort of 'protective' finish. Oil is the easiest to apply but wouldn't be appropriate, in my opinion, for wardrobe doors. Varnish or lacquer, if correctly applied, could be the way to go here. Apply with a lint-free white rag and maybe consider a satin finish. Var/lac is a hard wearing finish. There's a large range of types of var/lac available, eg. acrylic, polyurethane, cellulose, etc. and we all have our favourites, based on experience. I like cellulose, finished off with wax ... yummy!!

Sorry i should of said that the doors are sliding mirror doors and dont need a finish so it is just the wardrobes that need a finish, so would stain and oil be ok in this situation?

Any advice you can offer would be great.

Sponsored Links
You could oil them and use a tinted danish oil for example but I personally would go for wax. You'll need a good surface finih though and much of the timber used in ply is dried too quick and can be very hard to get a smooth finish. If this is the case use a varnish of some sort

If you can get a quality finishi prefer Liberon (manufacturer) paste wax and with a few coats it provides imho the best low sheen finish on many woods. It's very easy to keep looking great by throwing on another coat every so often. not necessary though.

Many people would not use wax with out varnish/ polish first but I like the result on an openish grain. Use test pieces and spend the time finishing it exactly as you like than throw something on and realise it ruins your work.

p.s polishing would only be advisable on a very fine finished surface and only if you had a bit of experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back