Different temperature for different room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I'm a newbie here and thought I'd ask on here for a spot of advice please.
Essentially I have a hive thermostat in the hallway downstairs which controls the heating for the whole house. There are some rooms we don't use so the valves on the radiators in those rooms are set to the lowest they can be without actually being completely off. All good so far.

We now have a new baby just a few months old and for some reason her room is always a few degrees lower than the other rooms in the house, even with the valve on maximum. It's an East facing room with a smaller radiator so guess that doesn't help even though the room itself is smaller also. The windows are new and pretty sure it's not an insulation issue so heat isn't escaping. So I wanted to ask if there was a way of controlling the temperature in this room individually without going through the hive thermostat which would also raise the temperature in the other rooms? I know I can get hive multizone but this seems a bit extreme when I'm really looking at just controlling the temperature in just one room.

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Sponsored Links
With the TRV, that's what it's there for. If that room isn't getting to the right temp it stands a chance it could be seized as you've had them all at their lowest setting. You might want to consider replacing it with a digital TRV to help achieve the temp you want in a familiar format.

https://www.google.com/search?q=digital+TRV&tbm=shop

Does the radiator get hot? if not the valve may be seized it may want a slight tap to free it, does it need bleeding? wamr at the bottom cool at the top? if the whole of the radiator gets hot but the room is still not hot enough, perhaps replace the radiator with a larger one.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all. Yes the radiator is as hot as all the others. I have tried bleeding it and the water came out straight away.
It's about half the size of the other radiators but then again the room is also half the size of the others as well at about 7ft x 7ft.
We have a thermometer in the room and it gets to around 17-18°C whereas other rooms reach 20°C. But it actually feels colder than that but that may be because I've walked in from another room.

With the TRV, that's what it's there for. If that room isn't getting to the right temp it stands a chance it could be seized as you've had them all at their lowest setting. You might want to consider replacing it with a digital TRV to help achieve the temp you want in a familiar format.

https://www.google.com/search?q=digital+TRV&tbm=shop
Thanks have had a look at this. But one thing I don't quite understand with this is how it would work. For example if the hive thermostat is set to 17°C overnight and the temperature in the house is either at or above that level the boiler obviously won't be on. If I set the digital TRV in my baby's room to 19°C I'm guessing that it won't make any difference as the boiler isn't on to warm up that radiator?
Thanks for your help.

Ideal temp is between 16-20°c
You can use one of the online radiator calculators to check if the rad is sized correctly for the room it's in.

Maybe you need to balance your rads - is this rad near the end of the heating chain ?

If the radiator is getting hot, but still not heating the room then it's not big enough to provide the quantity of heat required. Changing the controls won't improve that.

So it sounds like the room just needs a bit more heat, maybe it has exposed outside walls, is north facing, or not as well insulated as some other rooms. I had a north facing bedroom that was cooler than the others and it just needed a bit more heat so I swapped the single radiator for a double. It's no longer a problem, it warms up quickly now and the TRV stops the room overheating.

When I were a lad, we didn't have any heating at all in the bedrooms and metal window frames with gaps in them bigger than those around the doors on an Austin Allegro, I survived. ;)

Check the thickness of insulation in the space above the ceiling in that room. Is there a porch underneath that room? If so, chance are the floor won't be insulated and you'll lose a surprising amount of heat through that.

Other than that, increase the size of the radiator. If the room has two outside walls its probably just losing more heat than the radiator can put out.

You could try, raising the temp on Hive, & turning down all the other TRV's. That's the way I have balanced my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back