Positioning the thermostat

A smart TRV is a zone stat; I would call it a comfort feature not an efficiency feature unless it has an influence on the boiler operating temperature.

The very best efficiency is provided by a properly integrated to the boiler control system, providing feedback to the boiler, so the boiler is aware of the amount of demand it needs to meet - rather than an demand/no demand, on/or off control system. A smart TRV, like the Hive only provides that on/off control. They provide an extra complication and expense for very little improvement in performance, if you already have normal TRV's fitted.

Sponsored Links
close down the lock shields on the other end of the rads to slow the flow down.
Shouldn't be any need to do that, with the roomstat in that room, the boiler stops on reaching temperature. Unless other rads in the house are not heating enough.
Position the thermostat away from sources of heat too - rads, TV, direct sunlight, Lamps etc.
The stat must feel the heat from the rads, that's how the system works! Though probably best not positioned directly over a rad.

Shouldn't be any need to do that, with the roomstat in that room, the boiler stops on reaching temperature. Unless other rads in the house are not heating enough.

The stat must feel the heat from the rads, that's how the system works! Though probably best not positioned directly over a rad.
Oh you know what I mean!

Sponsored Links
A smart TRV, like the Hive only provides that on/off control. They provide an extra complication and expense for very little improvement in performance, if you already have normal TRV's fitted.

Incorrect.

Don't use Hive as a example of smart heating tech. Its not representative.

Sponsored Links
Put it in the hall, right under the place where you hang all the coats. That way nobody will be able to see what temperature it is set to and it won't matter a toss because it will always be hidden by coats thereby not being able to sense the temperature.
That's what the super duper, I'm the best heating engineer in the world did for me.
It was also the most difficult place to run the wiring too.
R.Sole was his name.

We rented a place in the Peak District one winter and it was freezing. Turned out the room stat was behind a bookcase! Another one we rented had the heating controlled remotely by the owner who was abroad somewhere warm. Tight lot of gits some of these cottage owners.

We have an 8 week old baby who wont settle upstairs so we sleep eith her in the living room at the moment
Hi,
Good luck with the new baby! (y)

...and without getting into 'Mumsnet' territory ;) ,the NHS recommendation for room temperature for babies is between 16 and 20 degrees. As said by our midwife - you should feel a chill when you walk into the room!

In our case we weren't worrying about heating the house, but keeping it cool enough!

We found a Gro-egg was really useful to keep around the baby.

We slept in the living room too, well we took shifts; with the other having a decent rest in a proper bed. :sleep:

No it does not ( if its modern boiler ).

It modulates down and continues to heat the system to the exact flow temperature that you have set for it.

Then with a stable flow temperature from the boiler, the TRVs modulate the flow through each radiator in order to maintain the temperature in that room that the TRV setting has been adjusted for.

A friend has a larger house with 26 different thermostat controlled heating zones. But then he used to teach HVAC at sb/ac. He has thermal and PV panels on the roof. And 100 mm of insulation on the inside of the outside walls. He says the heat loss is under 10 kW which is not bad for a 6 bed detached house.

A friend has a larger house with 26 different thermostat controlled heating zones. But then he used to teach HVAC at sb/ac. He has thermal and PV panels on the roof. And 100 mm of insulation on the inside of the outside walls. He says the heat loss is under 10 kW which is not bad for a 6 bed detached house.

Calculated or gas rated and at what external temperature? How old is the property, is in town or exposed countryside? The details are often quite important.

Hi,
Good luck with the new baby! (y)

...and without getting into 'Mumsnet' territory ;) ,the NHS recommendation for room temperature for babies is between 16 and 20 degrees. As said by our midwife - you should feel a chill when you walk into the room!

In our case we weren't worrying about heating the house, but keeping it cool enough!

We found a Gro-egg was really useful to keep around the baby.

We slept in the living room too, well we took shifts; with the other having a decent rest in a proper bed. :sleep:

Thanks very much and yes i have bern reading that too, i normally had the heating set on around 19-20 but that was downstairs and the upstairs is much colder, perhaps 16 though

Appreciate the reply and advice, thanks very much, and we are also taking in turns sleeping on the sofa at the moment

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies!

Much appreciated, for now ive out the thermostat in the hallway, upstairs as its cold up there as are the upstairs bedrooms.

It definitely seems to be helping and today ive noticed the rooms are not as cold as they were so maybe ill move it there long term. Access doesnt matter too much as its mostly controlled by phone anyway

Also bought a thermal.door curtain for the front door and insulation is on the list of things to do when i have some money too so that should all help i think

Left mine in a basket of laundry in the airing cupboard. I thought it was a handy way of carrying it upstairs but forgot it was there. Mrs V. was in her coat and gloves when I got back 5 hours later! This was during the only really freezing weather we had last winter too.

No it does not ( if its modern boiler ).
Oh yes it does! (panto season is upon us)
OP hasn't said whether his boiler is modulating or not, but it makes no difference to the location of the roomstat, which is what this thread is about, or the need to throttle rads.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back