TRVs

Thank you both.
Much more information of which I was unaware until now.

Yes, of course I really don't need to have electronic TRVs on every radiator!

What I'll do will be best decided when Marge and I can have a proper talk about it. She's in America right now, but back on Friday night.

And if Bart pipes up... Just strangulate him :LOL:

Sponsored Links
It is common not to have a TRV on the radiator in the room with the wall thermostat. The idea is to fit wall thermostat in a room normally kept cool with no outside door or alternative heating on entrance floor.

However often no such room exists, so with a TRV in same room at wall thermostat careful trimming it can work, but if there is a TRV on every radiator it may need a bypass valve.

The problem is if it worth all the money or hassle setting it up.

Simple thing is if it works why fix it? It it does not work, what's wrong? Yes fit EvoHome electronic TRV in every room it will work, but much depends don the house, my first house was hot air, worked A1 but expensive to run, next house was open plan, needed TRV upstairs, but non down stairs. Every house is different.

It is common not to have a TRV on the radiator in the room with the wall thermostat. The idea is to fit wall thermostat in a room normally kept cool with no outside door or alternative heating on entrance floor.

However often no such room exists, so with a TRV in same room at wall thermostat careful trimming it can work, but if there is a TRV on every radiator it may need a bypass valve.
I think the simple solution for me would be to fit the Hive thermostat in the hall (away from the radiator) and remove the TRV from that radiator for safety's sake.

I have a problem with a wall thermostat and radiator with electronic TRV. The problem is the stairs mean no natural circulation between radiator was wall thermostat. The TRV stops a massive overshoot, but the time for the heat from radiator to reach thermostat means thermostat and when set to lift temperature from 17°C to 20°C it still over shoots unless I set to raise 0.5°C at a time for last 2 degrees.

Without the TRV the over shot would be uncontrollable, the electronic TRV head is set to change at same time as wall thermostat, but it is still a balancing act.

The wall thermostat should be in theroy mounted on an inside wall (so not cooled by wall) operate to the radiator so natural circulation moves air from radiator to wall thermostat, however in a hall that's often impossible.

Clearly my house is not the same as yours, you need to consider thermals in the hall and how long it will take for it to reach the thermostat.

Sponsored Links
Clearly my house is not the same as yours, you need to consider thermals in the hall and how long it will take for it to reach the thermostat.

I get a distinct impression that my Vaillant 407 must have some sort of built in predictive system. It has never overshot, it set temperature. Difficult to be sure, because the house never gets to cool down, because it is so well insulated.

Until you live in a problem house, you never think about it. Now on fourth house, first was hot air, single thermostat was great as air circulated around house, second had a myson fan assisted radiator down stairs, and open plan, only problem was upstairs getting too hot, TRV heads up stairs cured that, third house was a real problem, bay windows resulted in the sun over heating well insulated rooms, needed the TRV heads in the room to work fast, tried all sorts until got electronic TRV heads, even then found the setting of the lock shield critical as TRV's were on the return of radiator, unless reduced flow radiator heated up too fast, but after 2 years we got the central heating spot on, and worked well.

This house too soon to say, but when bought there was no thermostat fitted, and the TRV bases were jammed, so all TRV's changed, and brought the heads from last house, plus 5 cheap electronic heads, as with 13 rooms not all are used every day, so want to be able to easy switch off or at least down rooms not used.

I am really pleased the way the cheap electronic heads have worked in this house, not so pleased with the expensive heads as contrary to advert, can't get them to link to Nest, seems Nest has changed their support, they do work far better than liquid filled TRV heads, but not as good as they could have worked had they linked to Nest as advert said.

The position of Nest was selected because pre-wired at that location, it is central to house, however two doors from the radiator in the hall where located which means heat goes up stairs before it reaches thermostat, so takes a long time for heat from the hall radiator to reach hall thermostat. As a result the TRV heads do most of the work controlling house temperature, and the boiler cycles while waiting for the heat to reach thermostat, and once it does, there was a tendency to over shoot a little, and then a long gap in which rest of house cools down before wall thermostat restarts boiler, simply setting the thermostat to raise the temperature 0.5°C at an hour for last 2°C when changing night to day temperatures cured the problem, however until I started to use Nest, I did not have a programmable thermostat which could be programmed with enough changes to do that.

My wife had a problem with Nest, it was paired to my phone, sent her a link and invite, but she had not bothered to set her phone to work with it, what I had not realised, was when I left the house, the thermostat would auto turn down temperature, until my return, we normally went out together, but on the odd time when only I went out, she would complain central heating not working, took some time before I realised what it was doing.

But Nest is suppose to learn, so fact that house is now heating correctly, don't really know if because now the TRV heads and lock shield valves correctly set, or if Nest has learnt what to do, not really worried which, it now works OK, which is all that matters.

The wall thermostat should be in theroy mounted on an inside wall (so not cooled by wall) operate to the radiator so natural circulation moves air from radiator to wall thermostat, however in a hall that's often impossible.

Yes, I agree.
I have intended, when the time comes, to fit the Hive thermostat on an internal wall of the hall at a distance from the radiator of about three or four feet horizonally on the adjacent wall. There is a small porch beyond the front door of the hall, so I'm hoping that draughts of cold air from outside will be minimal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back