Different types of DNO domestic main fuses / switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I came across a house yesterday that had a very old looking main switch (a old rusty box with a large metal handle on the right hand side). I've been told various stuff about these, including that they should be taken out by the electrical supplier ASAP, but i'm not certain what to believe!

Anyone know what these are? What type of fuse it would normally contain? Plus should they actually be removed?

I'm used to seeing the 1361 but i wasn't sure what this medieval thing was i was seeing!!!!

Thanks in advance

Samps

Sponsored Links
Very old fuse boxes tended not to have a built in isolating switch but had a separate one such as you describe. when replacing such a fusebox with a new CU you would normally do away with the old switch as well.

fido said:
Very old fuse boxes tended not to have a built in isolating switch but had a separate one such as you describe. when replacing such a fusebox with a new CU you would normally do away with the old switch as well.

Yeah i've seen that arrangement before, this one though is the actual service head rather than an isolator. Thanks for the reply though.

A picture speaks a thousand words - have you got one?

Sponsored Links
Can you open up the main switch box? In you will probably find ceramic fuses. If the neutral is fused, then this must be changed over by the DNO as it is no longer legal. Often though you find that the neutral conductors just 'run though' the fuse gap.

SB

sparkybird said:
Can you open up the main switch box? In you will probably find ceramic fuses. If the neutral is fused, then this must be changed over by the DNO as it is no longer legal. Often though you find that the neutral conductors just 'run though' the fuse gap.

SB

IS THAT WISE

If the box is corroded there is no telling what state it is inside. It may fall apart if the hinges are jammed or the switch mechanism which has to be in the OFF position before the box can be opened may fall apart inside when disturbed.

Hi sparkybird,
i know this is nothing to do with the current topic, but i have been reading a previous thread & am very interested to learn from you how you got part p certification. I want to become a qualified electrician, and have completed the c&g 2351. What did you have to do to prove competency? Am finding it hard to get on as firms only want to recruit apprentices or experienced & time served sparkys. Do you know if this is a way of moving towards obtaining nvq level 3 to become a qualified sparky?

thanks for your help. If your reply is as long winded as my question I'll give you my email address.

thanks,

john

Surely if this switch is before the meter it should be left to the electricity supplier to remove it. In the meantime it is a handy means of isolating the supply if you are fitting a new CU.

fido said:
Surely if this switch is before the meter it should be left to the electricity supplier to remove it. In the meantime it is a handy means of isolating the supply if you are fitting a new CU.

I wouldn't call it "handy," I'd call it "likely to fall apart if you touch it."

Strangely, I find myself agreeing with John once more (isn't that annoying? :LOL: ).

I would get the DNO to check it out. In my experience, they would fit a new cut-out.

securespark said:
Strangely, I find myself agreeing with John once more (isn't that annoying? :LOL: ).

I would get the DNO to check it out. In my experience, they would fit a new cut-out.

Fair enough!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back