Main Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm just after a bit of advice please, I've had a bit of a strange day. A relative of mine recently passed away.. his house is in severe disrepair and he is in arrears with many of his bills.

I called the electricity company today to enquire why his electricity was off, to which they responded that it wasn't. Finding this strange, I tracked down the power supply to the house. The fuse box etc seemed in good order, and then I spotted that the seal to the Main Fuse had been broken. My relative was not a DIYer and the supply is in an unusual area.

Regardless of the legalities of it, I pulled the main fuse. I opened the fuse holder and found that there is no fuse inside it. It has been taken. This seems like something only the electricity company might have done given that it's unlikely anyone would want to steal it or even know where it was.

I've managed to find a 100A fuse to put in and now have replaced that Main Fuse with the electric on. However, I'm not happy to have come to the house of a sick relative (despite being behind with bills) to find Main Fuse seal broken and the fuse inside taken. Is this common practice and what are your thoughts?

Also, it seems from reading this forum I need to contact the DNO/Electricity Company to have it re-sealed, is that correct?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you've just broken the law!

The fuse was probably removed for non payment of the bill, and reconnecting it is a criminal offence.

You may find that the DNO will now cut the cable in the street outside to stop you reconnecting again in future.

You should have asked the DNO to supply the fuse then reseal.
Also ask them if they had removed the fuse, although it is not commonly done in my area, unless money is owed it could be possible or depending on the location of the main fuse, someone may have nicked it.

Sponsored Links
Forget the legalities concentrate on safety...

You may have restored power to an electrically unsafe installation.

Depending on the circumstances of the death the fuse may bave been pulled out by the DNO ( or a trained fire officer ) acting on a request from the emergency services. This can happen if police had had to force entry and found the house electrically unsafe. The supply company ( to who bills are paid ) may not be aware of this safety related disconnection.

The fuse could have been removed by either the supplier or the DNO, however both "should" have refitted a seal to the cut-out.
If the DNO ask to speak to the Revenue Protection section who will know the answer better than a call centre who will not have access to the information you need

Hi there,

I'm just after a bit of advice please, I've had a bit of a strange day. A relative of mine recently passed away.. his house is in severe disrepair and he is in arrears with many of his bills.Cheers
I am not an expert on financial things but I am fairly sure that when a person dies their debts to power companies etc are not passed on to relatives. I suggest you contact the supplier and explain very clearly that this person is now dead and you need power to sort out the property.

Thanks for the prompt replies and congratulations.

The chap concerned was behind with his bills, so I expect that it has perhaps been disconnected. However, as I say, the electricity company has on record that the house is still active/live.

I've gone through all mail and found no notices re disconnection or condemnation etc.. are the DNO guys different to the Electricity Company?

Forget the legalities concentrate on safety...

You may have restored power to an electrically unsafe installation.

Depending on the circumstances of the death the fuse may bave been pulled out by the DNO ( or a trained fire officer ) acting on a request from the emergency services. This can happen if police had had to force entry and found the house electrically unsafe. The supply company ( to who bills are paid ) may not be aware of this safety related disconnection.

What action/notifications would those bodies have had to make. Surely they cannot simply remove the fuse and then retain on the Electricity Supplier's record that the house is live?

Although it is supposed to always be sealed, you will find many that are not. I bet there is not an old school sparks that has not removed or replaced at some time. I am surprised you new what fuse to get and where to get it.

I think you have failed to take note of everyones comments!

-You are lucky to be alive, fuses should only ever be installed or removed by trained professionals, wearing the appropriate safety gear. People have died, or been severely burned.

-The fuse may have been removed as the house electrics was unsafe, and you have re-fitted it.

-How do you know that it originally had the same size fuse that you have fitted? What if it was a 60amp fuse? You could now have caused the potential for a fire.

You now need to get the power company out as an emergency to remove the fuse, and accept whatever they charge you as a penalty. Once you know the reasons for disconnection, you can get them back to re-fit the fuse.

It all hinges on who you talked to, the DNO or the supplier

It will still be shown as live by the DNO as there is still a supply to the property though the main fuse is removed

It all hinges on who you talked to, the DNO or the supplier

It will still be shown as live by the DNO as there is still a supply to the property though the main fuse is removed

I talked with the supplier. I'll check with the DNO tomorrow. However, from the comments, it doesn't seem that the DNO will care a jot if bills haven't been paid, because they contract to the electricity company, who in turn contract to the property owners. I can only imagine that they would remove it on the instruction of the supplier?

As for the comment regarding the fuse size, I replaced like with like (the casing states a 100A fuse).

I take it that a common "disconnection" is to simply take the fuse rather than cut the cables etc (which seems extreme?) as mentioned above.

The 100A written on the casing is the maximum that the cutout can safely carry. The cable supplying or supplied by the cutout may not be capable of carrying this load, and that would be a fire risk.

It is common practice to remove the fuse as it is much easier (and cheaper) for the DNO to reconnect the supply, but I would expect the cutout to have been resealed afterwards. Maybe someone cut the seal whist trying to illegally reconnect the supply?

The cable will only be cut in the street as a last resort if access can not be gained to the property, or the supply has been illegally reconnected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back