Fused light switch on ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Found a very old fused switch on the ring main powering 2 lights. I would like to change this to a 2 gang switch so I can operate the lights independently.

Can I get a 2 gang fused switch and keep it on the ring main?
Does it need to be fused?

Or should I try and loop it into the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Found a very old fused switch on the ring main powering 2 lights. I would like to change this to a 2 gang switch so I can operate the lights independently.

Can I get a 2 gang fused switch and keep it on the ring main?
Does it need to be fused?
I don't think they make dual gang FCU's you might be better of with a grid plate switch that incorporates an FCU and two switches - ie three gang.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Grid_System/index.html
You loop the ring main into and out of the grid fuse unit and link the other two switches from the load side of the same unit.
It does get crowded in there so you might want to use a double 35mm deep back box.

Or should I try and loop it into the lighting circuit.
This will probably involve gaining access to the ceiling rose - easy in the loft but not so in between floors and channelling the wall out, plus you might need to isolate part of the FCU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back