Differential thermostats, to control a fan on the cheap?

Sponsored Links
I've sometimes used the old type of non-electronic "turn the knob" central heating wall stats, which have both a turn on when cold, and a turn on when hot, terminal.

I mostly use Drayton

I will see if I have one to hand to check

For cheapness, scrap ones, replaced with modern, are sometimes on ebay or in the skip when heating system is modernised.

Incidentally, the old ones are often rated at 15A, and modern ones at 3A. I used one for heated towel rail, and one for pipe heater in garage.

Sponsored Links
I think the @oldbutnotdead link seems reasonable, worth a try. The one @martygturner shows is like the ones I used for beer brewing, not a differential although all built in, not need to mount in a box, so may get one anyway as I have one of my beer ones running a freezer as it can work as a fridge.

I thought you had some smart home kit? If you're monitoring room temperatures this is some simple rules and a smart socket

Ah, what does "differential" mean in this context?

(If) the outside temperature is lower than (this) inside temperature, (then) I want (that) fan to run. I tried it with a simple thermostat with sensor on outside, and set it so if outside greater than 20ºC it turned off, but some times inside reached 27ºC so really wanted the fan on, also tried measuring inside only, if inside greater than 25ºC then turn on fan, but outside was 27ºC so actually heating up the house.

So if house temperature is higher than outside temperature want the fan to run, other wise want fan to stop, not perfect, as not opening or closing window, but with some luck it will reduce the days when we close all windows and use the AC, and if we hear the fan stop, it will alert us to shut the windows.

The main problem is we get up and house is hot from day before, so windows open and fan on to cool the house, but then the sun comes up, and before we have realised the outside is hotter than inside and we are heating the house with the fan. At moment it is not hot enough to worry, but likely as summer arrives it will get hotter, and a fan is far cheaper to run than a heat pump.

The main problem is we get up and house is hot from day before, so windows open and fan on to cool the house, but then the sun comes up, and before we have realised the outside is hotter than inside and we are heating the house with the fan. At moment it is not hot enough to worry, but likely as summer arrives it will get hotter, and a fan is far cheaper to run than a heat pump.

Reads like a job for a Rpi, or similar - you are not going to achieve what you want with simple stats.

Ebay -this any good? Or perhaps a boiler weather compensation sensor?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There is a thermostat module in Home Assistant. I used it over winter to control the heat pad [via a smart plug] under my kumquat. This is basically that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back