Differing surface beneath patch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a doorway between hall and livingroom in an old lodge. The hallway is a thin layer of concrete, 10mm, not a screed, above a base of concrete I believe. Next to this at the threshold is a timber beam set down below the level of the concrete by a few mm.

Small sections of the top level of concrete and above the beam need to be filled, possible 300mm long x 125mm wide and levelled to the edge of floorboards in the living room.

A carpet will cover the filling whatever it may be and there will be a transition threshold strip from carpet to laminate on top of floorboard.

It is a heavy footfall area: I can fill with repair cement or one of the two stage epoxy fillers, have I missed an alternative product? I'd hate to walk through and feel things crumbling under the floor covering in a few months. I'm filling over concrete and wood hardened with a Ronseal product. Will try to post a pic if asked for.

Sponsored Links
Please post a close-up pic and a context pic.

The "10mm thin layer" you mention is most probably sand and cement not "concrete"..

what depth are we talking here? Sounds like a self levelling screed might be what you need.
Any chance of a photo?

Sponsored Links
IMG_0218.JPG
Here is a pic. The gap is between the wooden floor beam and oversite. The brass trim is there temporarily to protect the edge of the laminate.

OP,
Come back about 150mm from the brass strip and cut a neat line across the S&C or SLC (whatever the material is) the width of the hallway.
Clean up the cracked material and determine what is underneath - is it T&G boards or a solid floor?

It's concrete vinn. The laminate is laid on boards in what was a lodge, the left it's concrete, the top layer certainly not a screed, may have been a replacement for quarry tiles

Still come back beyond any cracking or loose material and prep with say Pva, and fill and level off with a tub of repair mortar from B&Q or similar.
Fill up to the brass strip before removing it to leave a 10mm expansion gap, and when set fix a transition bar wood to carpet at the join - you have enough meat to screw down into the joist(?).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back