digging footings near boundary wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

When I start my extension, I plan to build up to the bondary which links to the neighbours wall.

When digging for the footings, Ive been told this will have to be done in bays so as to avoid collaspe or distrubance of the neighbours wall.

My qyestion is, all the footing will be in 1m sections, do these not need to be 1 whole section, if not what is done?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It really depends upon exactly how close to the boundary wall and the condition of the boundary wall foundations.

We have in the past dug along side an existing building, thus exposing their foundations in the process whilst digging deeper than their foundation bottom. However, whilst we weren't entirely comfortable with this set up, we were satisfied that the foundations to the entire building were helping stabilize this particular elevation.

A single straight wall is a different matter. It could, for instance, be professionally shored up.

Drop a trial pit down to establish depth of neighbours foundations.
Providing you do not have to excavate below your neighbours foundations and disturb the angle of repose, then you will have no problems providing you do not leave the trench open, but concrete as soon as poss.
oldun :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back