Digging up driveway, need advice on skip or grabber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...

I'm digging my garden up to build a driveway.

My garden measures 7.5m x 8.5m and I want to dig down 200mm.

This works out at 12.75m³ which I worked out to be just short of 14yds³, so would fit in a 16 yd skip...

But, I've been told that when I dig it up, and it's no longer compacted, that it will more likely be 18 or 19yds³, is this right?

I don't want to hire a 16 yard skip and then have to get a 4 yard skip as it may be cheaper to get two 10 yarders? (If they do 10's)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You are told correctly. The stuff you dig out will aireate to around 50% more, so your 12.75 cubic metres will easily turn into around 20 cu m. Although you do get large skips they are meant to be used for bulk stuff and not for heavy dig as the skip lorry can't lift 20 ton skips. Also the sides of large skips are too high and even if you did find one to hire you'd have problems reaching the top to fill it, even with a small excavator. I'd go for 2 builder's skips and be prepared for a third if necessary. The bulders skips you see in the street are 8 cubic yards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back