Digging up Turf to Replace with New

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, got a patch of raised lawn about 18 sq.metre rectangle.

Looking to dig up just the turf layer in order to put some new turf down.

Area isnt big enough to warrant hiring a turf stripper so is going have to be a spade/shovel job.

Any tips on what tool is best for the job or any other tips to make life easier?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've never done such a large area, but was taught to use a lawn edging tool to cut it into rectangles slightly larger than your spade/shovel, then you can attack each rectangle from low-down, cutting underneath the turf and lifting it out easily. Might want to get some ibruprofen for your aching back too ;)

I did a quick look and a turf cutter is about £100?
how long will a shovel take?

Sponsored Links
The first thing I was thinking, is why are you lifting turf to put more turf down?

The first thing I was thinking, is why are you lifting turf to put more turf down?

Its in terrible condition, when the extension got built, all the earth got piled up on the grass and never really recovered, some soil still remains making it uneven, just want to dig up, flatten and lay again

I did a quick look and a turf cutter is about £100?
how long will a shovel take?

Half of the lawn is arguably fine so was only going to do one half, depending how quick it gets done im tempted to just do the rest

Faithfull Countryman turfing iron from " mano mano " £23 delivered - sorry I can't do links but that's what I found on T'net;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back