digital aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in the town of whitehaven where they have just done the first digital tv switchover. The transmitter that they switched over is 6kms away, the one that is not switched yet is about 2 kms away. my aerial points to the closer one. i dont have a line of sight to the digital one but some houses within 500mtrs do. my house is high up and not in a valley but the view of the transmitter is blocked by a hill about 1km away. I get a weak signal from some of the channels on the digital transmitterwhen i turn my current aerial. I have an eight element roof mounted aerial, no booster/ amplifiers fitted. I wondered what would be the best setup to try to receive the new digital signal as it is about time the aerial/mast was replaced anyway.

Sponsored Links
I think a good starting point might be to ask your local aerial install company, what they would recommend.

I think a good starting point might be to ask your local aerial install company, what they would recommend.
yeah! gonna do that just wanted any thoughts if it was possible before finding a good aerial installer as the place here is a wash with them at the moment and there are a lot about just for the easy digital changeover pickings

Sponsored Links
do you think that changing the aerial to a 48 element high gain wideband would improve reception or is it a waste of time due to location?

do you think that changing the aerial to a 48 element high gain wideband would improve reception or is it a waste of time due to location?

If we knew what bands the digital muliplexes are in in your area then we would be able to tell you if you need a wideband aerial or not ;)

Which transmitter/repeater(s) are you pointing the aerial at?

If we knew what bands the digital muliplexes are in in your area then we would be able to tell you if you need a wideband aerial or not ;)

Which transmitter/repeater(s) are you pointing the aerial at?
im pointing it at St bees transmitter, its the one that feeds Whitehaven where i live, which is the first one that has been switched to digital (remember we havent had digital in this area before)

I'm not too sure of your current situation, but if your current aerial is grouped, this may cause you problems.

The best thing to do is establish whether you need a grouped aerial or wideband, use fully screened cable (CT100) and maybe a booster - masthead is best.

Try wolfbane website.

I'm not too sure of your current situation, but if your current aerial is grouped, this may cause you problems.

The best thing to do is establish whether you need a grouped aerial or wideband, use fully screened cable (CT100) and maybe a booster - masthead is best.

Try wolfbane website.
cheers gman! thanks for that, at last some info i can work from, all i wanted was a starting point.

from looking at a coverage map you will only get the three PSB muxes from the st bees tx ie BBC1 2 3 4 , ITV1 2 3 4 and channel 5 and the channels that are used for the muxes are at the end of the spectrum ie ch 54 58 and 61 and are different from the channels that carried the analogue signals, so a group C/D or a wideband aerial would probably be best and as you are only 6 km away just a new correct aerial might solve your problem.
have a look at this site http://www.aerialsandtv.com/index.html as they give some good impartial advice

from looking at a coverage map you will only get the three PSB muxes from the st bees tx ie BBC1 2 3 4 , ITV1 2 3 4 and channel 5 and the channels that are used for the muxes are at the end of the spectrum ie ch 54 58 and 61 and are different from the channels that carried the analogue signals, so a group C/D or a wideband aerial would probably be best and as you are only 6 km away just a new correct aerial might solve your problem.
have a look at this site http://www.aerialsandtv.com/index.html as they give some good impartial advice
thanks for the advice i'll give the site alook

Most aerials sold nowadays are wideband.

It is important to have the elements correctly aligned to the transmitter's polarization. This will be either vertical or horizontal. I haven't looked up which you should be using.

This site http://www.megalithia.com/elect/terrain.html is useful for telling you just how bad any obstruction between you and the transmitter will actually be.

nopoke, i bet tsunami (he who asked the question) has sorted it by now, he asked back in 2007 (please check the date a post was made)

argh sorry... need glasses and a brain

I was using the links at the bottom of the forum :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back