Digital DHW Tank Thermostat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 'Terrier' stat fitted to my DHW tank, and noticed (like room stats) that its quite inaccurate when switching off/on for hot water. Its almost 10 degrees of a spread !

I've had a look and can find any digital stats for DHW tanks - has anyone come across one?

Sponsored Links
Only one I've seen and used is the Danfoss wireless cylinder stat.

Sponsored Links
I have a 'Terrier' stat fitted to my DHW tank, and noticed (like room stats) that its quite inaccurate when switching off/on for hot water. Its almost 10 degrees of a spread!
I think you will find that all tank stats have a wide differential; this is deliberate. The water is heated to 60, which is enough to kill off any legionella bacteria. When it is drawn off, it will need to be mixed with cold water to bring the temperature down to about 40C or less for baths etc. As the HW temperature drops, due to addition of cold to the cylinder, the amount of cold needed in the bath will reduce. When the cylinder water drops to 50C, the cylinder thermostat will close bringing the temperature back up to 60C.

This means that about a quarter of the cylinder is drawn off before the water is reheated.

Modern digital room stats have a spread of less than one degree.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back