digital freeview

W

wolfman1

Just moved to new house (new to us) it has a digital aerial fitted, this has a new lead fitted up to a blue box and then the old lead goes down to the living room, we have cable tv, so wanted to split the lead and put tv in one bedroom, i used an ordinary y conector and it didn't work at all. two questions really, what is the blue box (it looks old) and is it worth having? and what is the best method of supplying the signal to 4 different rooms (3 bedrooms and also keep it in the lounge for the future.
The set to box works ok now i have taken the y out and directed the signal straight to the bedroom.

Sponsored Links
1) No such thing as a digital aerial it may need wide band to receive digital where may be narrow band will work analogue but there is no difference between digital and analogue for aerial types.
2) There are many ways to distribute TV signals but to use one aerial for multi-sets you need an active splitter i.e. one which also boosts the signal.
3) There are many special boxes used which can do all sorts from combining and splitting TV, Radio and Sky to isolators and band pass filters to stop interference and reduce chance of electrical storms wrecking the TV. If you post a picture we may work out what it is.

With mast head boosters (amplifiers) often the power supply feeds DC up same coax and RF comes down and one should be careful not to isolate the DC feed in such cases. Splitters will often not pass the DC feed to mast head amplifier.

Ok, so it doesn't have a digital aerial, but it has an aerial designed for receiving digital tv, but you know what i mean.
The blue box is a triax 13w mast head amplifier, so i guess the power supply comes fom the digi box? by fitting a y splitter i guess i have stopped the supply voltage (there is no separate power supply) and the amp now doesn't work.
Can you recommend a unit that i can fit to split from the mast head amp or should i replace this with a 4 output mast head amp, i'd like a recomendation as the descriptions are difficult to desipher if you are a complete novice when it comes to television aerials.

So i have a modern aerial, and this is fitted with a mast head amp (albeit in the loft) with no separate power supply, and this will work (i have it connected to a digi box in the bedroom, i wish to split this signal and run 3 more televisions, so what do i buy? Make and model please as i don't understand telly aerials and the jargon that goes with it (have no desire to understand either)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks. yes i have had a look at this site, the first thing i am going to try is removal of the amp, if this doesn't give desired result i may look at fitting a 4 way mast head amp and a power supply, i think that at the moment the amp is doing nothing as there is no power feeding the coax, so would i be losing some signal or would it be the normal strength from the aerial? the free view box runs on only 5 volts so there is no power from this, also the analogue signals are week.

There are so many ways to get the 12V required.
You can get active splitters with through route or even output for 12VDC and the Sky boxes also have the 12VDC output but on hidden menu.

See here for example.

There are many options see here much depends on how much you want to spend.

If you've got a good signal to start with you don't need an amplifier or active spliter. I've got 6 TV's running of one aerial using a passive splitter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back