digital satellite pricing

If it was a choice between paying for sky and the beeb's licence fee then for flexibility of choice sky wins hands down.

Sponsored Links
Sat dishes ? A set up for the day when world gov decides upon a cull, easy targets .... right choices too.. perhaps. :D :D :D

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
if my sky box was not connected to a terrestrial aerial ,why should i pay for a t v licence as i've already paid for bbc on my sky subscription?
really? is this correct?
poshman said:
where is cusworth ??
Doncaster (ask where that is and you will get a virtual slap)
keyplayer said:
But all those dishes man, don't half make the council estates look tatty
not if they are all the same size, all uniform. I think overhead telephone wires look tattier frankly. Why can't they mount satellite dishes on chimney tops? They insist on mounting on walls even though sometimes they have to install ugly mounting brackets, similar to a small scaffold tower, when mounting on the chimney would simply require a restraining wire to be tied around.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
if my sky box was not connected to a terrestrial aerial ,why should i pay for a t v licence as i've already paid for bbc on my sky subscription?
really? is this correct?
poshman said:
where is cusworth ??
Doncaster (ask where that is and you will get a virtual slap)
keyplayer said:
But all those dishes man, don't half make the council estates look tatty
not if they are all the same size, all uniform. I think overhead telephone wires look tattier frankly. Why can't they mount satellite dishes on chimney tops? They insist on mounting on walls even though sometimes they have to install ugly mounting brackets, similar to a small scaffold tower, when mounting on the chimney would simply require a restraining wire to be tied around.
is it because chimney stacks are not as substantial as wall mounts and the forces applied to dishes during storms could compromise the stability of the stack? therefore with choice wall mount is preferred.

A TV Aerial needs to point at the (ground-based) transmitter, and needs to be above the level of other houses, which is why it needs to go as high up as possible. A satellite dishes just needs to be able to point at the Southern Sky (well its a bit more involved, but that's the rough idea), so doesn't need to go as high up.

I don't know if a satellite dish can't go on a chimney, but I suspect its just a case of not having to go up beyond the roofline if you don't need to.

I just have a freeview box and then a subscription to Tesco DVD rental to give me a film on Saturday nights.....

johnny_t said:
A satellite dishes just needs to be able to point at the Southern Sky (well its a bit more involved, but that's the rough idea), so doesn't need to go as high up.
but it does need a clear line of sight with the satellite so may have to be as high as possible in certain circumstances.

kendor said:
johnny_t said:
A satellite dishes just needs to be able to point at the Southern Sky (well its a bit more involved, but that's the rough idea), so doesn't need to go as high up.
but it does need a clear line of sight with the satellite so may have to be as high as possible in certain circumstances.
Which in some cases = mounting on tall ugly metal bracket so it goes above the gutters when a chimney mount would be cheaper AND more attractive. I wonder if it's a matter of insurance - sky's installers aren't insured to go on the roof but the independant ones (hopefully) obviously are.

Deputy dawg said:
1 Do you live in a house that is not in a conservation area, a National park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty or the Norfolk Boards?

Then you do not need to apply for planning permission to install a dish on that house, provided that:
there will not be more than one dish on the building or in the garden;
the dish does not exceed 90cm in size;
if the dish is installed on the roof, it does not protrude above the highest part of the roof;
in the case of an installation on a chimney stack, the dish does not exceed 45cm in size and is not higher than the highest part of the stack.
Norfolk .. tongue and grooved ???
:D :D

crafty1289 said:
kendor said:
johnny_t said:
Which in some cases = mounting on tall ugly metal bracket so it goes above the gutters when a chimney mount would be cheaper AND more attractive. I wonder if it's a matter of insurance - sky's installers aren't insured to go on the roof but the independant ones (hopefully) obviously are.
yep the WTH regs do come into it but i also read about the chimney stack problem and it's inherent weakness.

Sponsored Links
Back