Digital Shower - Reuse Existing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is a simple one to answer ...

SWMBO grumbles about our thermostatic shower (fed from the combi) and has got wind of digital ones.

Given the heads in our current shower do the job and I have plenty of space to fit/hide the pump part, a) is it possible to just buy the pump/controller and retro fit b) does it work out cheaper buying the entire thing and binning the chrome parts?

Sponsored Links
What's her problem: too low a flow rate or too cool water

To some extent the output of a combi to a shower is a compromise between flow temperature and flow rate. If you increase flow beyond the thermal capability of the boiler then the water will run cooler.

Fitting a pump to boost flow rate seems pointless as the hot water output from a combi should be at mains pressure.

I think your problem may be flow/pressure - Most combi's will happily feed most thermo showers unless it has a huge output, or unless there are lots of other outlets being used at the same time. I find that's the biggest compromise - if someone is in the shower then no other outlets should be used.
What boiler do you have and is your cold mains pressure/flow good? A digital shower will be no better than the thermo mixer running off a combi.

If you have a combi, you cannot pump the boiler's output or fit a pumped shower. Only pump you could use would be a mains pump, if the cold mains is really poor.

Sponsored Links
Her gripe is mainly setting the temp since I like cooler showers than her.

Water pressure is fine, and I spotted Mira do a digital for higher pressure/combi which is why I asked the orginal question.

Isn't that what the temperature control on a thermostatic shower for ?
His and Her sets it to suit.
Are you sure you actually have a thermostatic control valve and not justy a simple mixer valve.

I spotted Mira do a digital for higher pressure/combi
They do yes, it isn't pumped. They do a Mira Platinum, Mode and Activate. Not cheap though but very good, I have a dual feed Activate.

All she needs to do is remember what the temp setting she likes is and sets it before turning in on or getting in, surely not that difficult?

Given the heads in our current shower do the job and I have plenty of space to fit/hide the pump part, a) is it possible to just buy the pump/controller and retro fit b) does it work out cheaper buying the entire thing and binning the chrome parts?

There is no actual pump. There is the mixing valve and controller. Are you asking whether you can just buy those and fit to your existing shower heads?

1703773936854.png

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back