Digital TV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should go here, but this is the question anyway.

We are due to go "Digital" in 2010. My present aerial set-up has been modified/extended/repositioned and generally mucked about with over the years.

Before 2010, I intend to run new cables from the loft to the family room and the lounge. I want to get them down behind the plasterboard and hidden from view. I will then get a contractor in to fit a new aerial or aerials, to the roof, as I'm not allowed (by my better half) to climb on the roof since my heart op.

The question is this -
Do I require any special type of cable for digital, or is ordinary common or garden co-ax OK?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Sponsored Links
this section is actually CCTV, not TV.

but no joe bloggs co ax is fine as is the aerail you already have, but you may need a signal amp.

You'd be better off fitting CT100 cable, i'd also run run CAT5e cable and/or CW1308 phone cable so you have phone points where you aerial points-makes life easier in the future!!

normal RG 59 Co-Ax will be fine.

i you want to run CAT 5 and phone lines to be future proof you can do, i would advise so, while you have draw ropes/ cable rods behind the walls.

Sponsored Links
RG59 coax is okay for UHF TV, FM and DAB but I'd recommend that you run a pair of WF100 cables to every point along with a pair of CAT5e UTP cables. It'll give you (or the future occupants) a lot more flexibility as you'll be able to run two satellite tuners and put in computer networking or telephone points as you see fit. In the foreseeable future, if you want HD TV without paying Sky or Virgin Media you will need a FreeSat box and you'll probably go with a recording version that will need twin feeds from the satellite dish.

The extra cost of the WF100 is about 10p per metre above the cost of RG59. The price doubles if you go with twin cables of course but should future proof your installation.

There's more detail on coaxial cables here:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cable.htm

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Garan.

(CT100 hasn't been manufactured since 2005.)

Well you learn something new every day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back