dim/flickering bulbs - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone could advise me please on whether I need to replace my ceiling light fitting or if I should continue to use it.

Its a 6 arm (g4) metal fitting. About 2 years old, as is the wiring to it. There is another duplicate light fitting in the same room. Both are switched from a 2 gang rocker switch.

The light worked fine until I replaced a few bulbs. There may be a mix of energy saving and normal halogen. Ever since, when I turn on the switch, the bulbs no longer immediately light up.

They glow dimly orange, flickering for a few seconds, (as the pic) then eventually light as normal. This period of glowing varies. If the light has just been switched off and then back on, they will light up much faster, within a second or two. I have just tried it, but they didn't light within 10 seconds. In the few weeks since this first happenend the period has generally increased before they light.

I've checked the wiring at the ceiling part of the light fitting and the connections look fine and are secure. Its a modern consumer unit in a house about 40 years old.

The other light is fine. It was bought from a DIY store.

Please can anyone advise what the problem may be, and if its safe to use the light as it is, or if there's a part that could be replaced. I would prefer not to replace the light as it matches the other one in the room.

Thank you for any advice.
:)

Sponsored Links
Hi

I think I've solved the problem!

I've replaced the bulbs and its now fine. The watt was higher than the recommended.

thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back