Dimmable LED again..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Installed 10 x downlights into living room. Bought a set of hoods and bulbs from local distributor as follows.

Bulbs are same as ones here :- Have to say not heard of them before.
http://www.lemonbest.com/12w-220v-g...t-for-home-garden-business-lighting-lemonbest

Double dimmer switch from screwfix :-
Varilight Trailing Edge Push Dimmer 2G 1/2W 2 x 250W/VA
http://www.screwfix.com/p/varilight-trailing-edge-push-dimmer-2g-1-2w-2-x-250w-va/98455

6 X downlights on one with 4 x downlight on second.

Did some basic reading on what was required so the V-PRO switch looked ok. All installed and working fine, however cannot dim LED's any lower than about 40% before slight flickering becomes apparent. Read through some posts, lots of ideas on what should/should not be used.

Swich is set to trailing edge.

Any advice would be appreciated, (could it be the bulbs/switch, or do i need to increase load.?) .

Thx JB

Sponsored Links
I have had a look at the lamps you purchased, I am not 100% sure that they are dimmable, the dimmer will have a minimum load stated on it but LED lamps have a resistor inside now a days to fool the dimmer if you like and it will work fine.

I have purchased lamps from this company before, they are expensive but they are very reliable and can be dimmed with ease. They are also a proper retrofit as some LED lamps are longer and cause issues with fitting in the light.

Hope this helps, I think the dimmer is fine as I have used those before, it would seem the issue is with the lamps.

LED LAMP LINK
http://www.luxurylighting.co.uk/gu10-led-lamp-35-watt-warm-white-dimmable-limited-stock-26275-p.asp

Hope this helps...

Varilight acknowledge now that some bulbs don't dim well, so they sell an 'Active Load Device' for about £8, that almost completely resolves the issue. I have 1 fitted and the dimming is a lot better.

Its fustrating because they work perfectly on bright all the way down to around 40%, then i see a very slight flicker creep in. Am i being optimistic in trying to get them to dim down to around 10% with active load device, or has your experience seen results of 10%.

Jb

Sponsored Links
I think about 15% original brightness I can get them down to, roughly.

You can adjust the dimmer so that that becomes the minimum, so you get a little more control in the spectrum it can dim. Not perfect, but pretty good.

ca i ask how many downlights you are running as just want to compare.. I have 6 on one switch and 4 on the other.?

Cheers JB

I have 6 on one, and 9 on the other.

They are all 4.5w LumiLife bulbs.

Cheers PB, dont really want to throw the bulbs away and replace so soon, so will order a couple of the load devices and give it a go.

JB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back