Dimmable LED Bulbs and Standard Dimmer Switches

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My rental property living room has a couple of standard traditional dimmer switches and worked fine with normal filament light bulbs.

My tenants have changed these filament bulbs to dimmable LED bulbs and are saying since then, they get some of the new bulbs flickering.

Am I correct in saying that for dimmable LED bulbs to work properly with a dimmer switch, the dimmer switch must be a particular type specifially for LED dimmable bulbs rather than a traditional dimmer switch?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes your correct, normal dimmers have a minimum load, which normally means you need a few led bulbs just to reach that minimum, even when the load is in range its not always, that the old tungsten dimmer is compatible with the led lamps.
Every one seems to have there own favourite brand of Led rated dimmer

Thanks!
There's 5 or 6 LED bulbs per fitting so I guess like you say, sometimes it's in range, sometimes it's not.
Don't want to be replacing the dimmer switches. Easy job for me to do myself but don't want the hassle of needing to get it them NIC EIC checked afterwards etc.
I think the flickering they get is only occasional and as the LED bulbs draw low current, I assume there's no safety concerns there. Just annoying occasional flickering.

Its quite common for the minimum to be as high as 40w, which is a lot of Led

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That's interesting. My initial thoughts were that you shouldn't mix types in the same fitting but what you're both saying makes good sense.
They have one normal bulb in one of the fittings which I think helped a bit, so maybe add another.
Is there a simple way of finding out the minimal load?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back