Dimmable LED bulb in old dimmer switch lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the worse that can happen?

Distant elderly relatives need to replace some old 60W tungsten filament bulbs. Problem is, the lighting circuit has an old dimmer switch and I've read that even dimmable LEDs don't work properly (or at all?) with old-style dimmer switches.

The possible solutions, as I see it are:

Electrician to remove old dimmer switch and fit new, LED compatible dimmer switch or fit an on/off switch. (These old folks are shielding so I'm very wary of them comming into contact with anyone. Besides, it's me that would have to organise this - remotely - and arrangements involving old folk never run smoothly).

Obtain 60W tunsten filament bulbs and have them delivered (but from where?)
Fit new LED bulbs and hope for the best (what's the worse that can happen?)

Final thought: If the old dimmer switch was left in the maximum output position, would it be OK/safe to fit LED bulbs? (would the old folk remember not to use the dimmer function? Hmm).

Any other suggestions or advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There's a good chance a dimmable LED will work after a fashion. It might not dim right down to zero, or might flicker near zero. Could the relatives tolerate that?

There's a good chance a dimmable LED will work after a fashion. It might not dim right down to zero, or might flicker near zero. Could the relatives tolerate that?

Thanks. I don't think they use the lower range end of the dimmer, though I'll need to check.

I believe filament bulbs can still be obtained in £ shops, though they will be rough service types and less efficient.

Sponsored Links
I’m not sure if Poundshops are considered essential.
but you don’t even need to go out, There are thousands of GLS lamps for sale on eBay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back