Dimmer - 2 in a room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my living room i have two switches (2 way) controlling my 300watt (5 60watt bulbs) light.

I have just bought two dimmers switches that are both 2 way and says on instructions the minumum watt i allowed is 40watt and the maximum is 400watt.

Can i replace both of my 2 way switches with dimmers or do i have to leave one of my 2 way switches on wall and replace with other dimmer?

Sponsored Links
No you have to leave one switch and the other one can be a dimmer, the only way you can dim it from both ends is if you use one of the master and slave type dimmers that are available this will make it possible to dim from both ends.

Nick

Sorry i didnt mean to confuse you, most normal dimmers are only two way , the other ones are made by companies such as superswitch, and GET and will clearly be marked as master or slave dimmer . I think i have seen them in B+Q

Nick

Sponsored Links
Another question......I have put another 300watt (5 * 60watt bulbs) light in my bedroom. Its just a normal 2 way dimmer switch (like you said above.) When i turn the fob up/down it makes a buzzing noise but if its turned on full, theres no buzzing noise. Is that right?

what size is the dimmer rated at , they are normally 250 or 400w , if its 400w it will buzz less than a 250w as this wil be overloaded and will buzz quite loudly. Most dimmers make a buzzing noise some worse than others. If it is a 300w dimmer i would change it for a 400w as you should never load a dimmer upto its maximum capacity .

Nick

it says on the back of the dimmer min 40watt and max 400watt. Its made by 'Royale' if that makes any difference?

Never heard of them, what sort of lamps are in the fitting, its not got a transformer or anything has it? I would suspect it is just the dimmer, they almost all buzz but some more than others.

Nick

there are various sorts of switches that dim, some you turn the knob, some you hold the button down till it gets to the right level then you release it and it holds the light level till you press it again.

Nick

i confused now, whats with the touch sensitive button instead of the round button?

I was merely giving you an example of dimming from two different accessories.

There are various designs some with touch buttons which as it implies you put your finger on button to switch on and hold finger until required level of lighting is required. With master/slave set up this can be done at both switch locations.

Other master/slave designs will have a 2 button switch at one location and the salve will have a 'momentary switch' one flick will switch light on holding it will set desired light level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back