Dimmer light switch issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I bought a ‘Varilight Premium 400w remote dimmer’ I had it installed with the rest of the wiring was having done, could have done it myself but got it included for free with other works.

Intermittently the light switch will not function (turn the lights on) via touch or remote control.

If I 'reset' the light switch via the consumer unit the light switch works normally again until it does it again next time. The weird thing is the switch is not tripped in the unit so i'm confused whats going on.
Any ideas what the problem is?

Does it sound like the fault is the light switch or the circuit?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Impossible to tell. Could be faulty dimmer, or light, or bad wiring connection.

My inclination would be to replace the Varilight dimmer with a standard switch for a wek or so and see if the problem goes away. If it does then its probably the switch.

Thanks, only asked as thought might ring a bell with someone but see your point it could be quite a few things.

Will replace the switch with a standard dimmer switch and see if the problem continues if so must be the light fitting or the circuit.

or does anyone else have any ideas? The odd bit is its not tripping but is not working :confused:

What wattage lamps are you using?(total on circuit) Most dimmers have a minimum below which they do not like.

Sponsored Links
I have one of those in my place and have fitted several in the past. The dimmer learns the remote signal and sometimes after a powercut or whenever it feels like it, it will "lock out" i think its just a glitch in the design. It doesnt happen that often and as you have found out flipping the power on and off seems to reset it ok.

400w dimmers usually start at 250w so you may be just outside the range. Check your dimmer switch for rating. On the back of the moulding.

Glad its not just me then! When yours 'locks out' can you operate it via the button on the switch or does this not work either - on mine when its not working neither work.

Henry....have you tried ringing the Varilight technical helpline? they may be able to shed some light on it....

Shed some light, I like it :)

I could not find one, only a webform - do you know what it is / where to find it?

Thanks!!

Very helpful man on the support line.

Basically all Varilights have an over ride protection, if it thinks there is a problem it locks and can only be reset by resetting the circuit. This is done to protect the dimmer and lights, apparently. This will not trip the circuit as its built in protection - exactly like I am having.

He said I should replace the switch and see if it fixes it, as it seems like its being over active. If the new switch does the same then their is a problem with the circuit and need to test it further.

Thanks for all your help guys really appreciate it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back