dimmer pulsing low voltage lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
seen a few items on this sort of problem but not sure of the actual answer !
I've got a dimmable transformer - inductive or resistive it tells me. I bought a 250w dimmer from b&q. Works fine on full but at lower levels - particularly around the middle range, it pulses and the dimmer makes a buzzing noise.

I've checked the circuit and it all seems to check out to me.

Hmm, what did I not do ?

many thanks !
john.

Sponsored Links
Is the connected load close to or below the minimum for the dimmer switch you have purchased? Typically, standard 250W dimmers have a minimum load of 40W. You may find the min & max printed on/moulded into the back of the dimmer or on the manufacturer's website. You may need to purchase a dimmer switch which states that it's suitable for low voltage lighting.

It"s not a dimmable transformer, there is no such thing. It's a dimmable switch mode power supply. They tend to be temperamental, but as jtonline says it is probably the min rating of the dimmer.

Anyway it is not really recommended to dim halogen lights as it reduces their life as it stops the recombination process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back