12v lights: resistive inductive dimmer ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've got 12v recessed lighting installed, and I'd like to attach a dimmer switch to them.

I know that all the transformers are ...

240V to 12V AC. Dimmable with resistive and inductive dimmers. 1.0kV surge protection. Soft start to extend lamp life with overload and short circuit protection. EN 61347, EMC EN 61547+A1.

So my question is, how do I tell the differnce between a normal dimmer and a inductive/resistive dimmer? Or is a normal dimmer a resistive dimmer?

I've looked around the usualy websites, RS and screwfix, but can find any details on any dimmer they sell to tell me if they are resistive/inductive.

Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
A dimmer that doesn't say otherwise should be assumed to be for 100% resistive loads, your lights require a dimmer thats suitable for loads that have a reactive (in this case inductive) component, make sure that you get a suitable dimmer, might say something along the lines of 'suitable for dimming suitable SELV transformers', but read the MIs carefully, the dimmer might have a lower maximum wattage rating when used with such a load

Sponsored Links
It means they are suitable with either type of dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back