LV Halogen to LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, after some advice. I'm in the process of getting rid of the halogen lighting in our house (17 x 50 watt bulbs out of the kitchen!)

Next on my hit list is the bathroom. It has 8 x 50w 12v lamps on independent transformers. I've uploaded some pics of the transformers but they are 20-60vA dimmable (resistive and inductive).

I want to replace the pull cord with a pull dimmer when replacing the bulbs.

Can anyone advise what pull cord dimmer would be suitable and what LED bulbs. I'm assuming that any 12v dimmable MR16 will be ok.

Is the best plan to reuse my existing transformers or would it be better to replace them with a single transformer to cover the whole circuit?

Cheers all.

Attachments

• DSC_0088.JPG
    DSC_0088.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC_0090.JPG
    DSC_0090.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The existing transformers will not work with LED lamps. The load of an LED lamp is too small for the existing transformers to work properly.
If you were to do this, you would need to replace every transformer with an LED "driver" - but that is a crazy way of doing it.. You could buy a single LED driver that would cater for all of the lamps -But you'd need to rewire everything.

Replace the lamps with 230V dimmerable LEDs and remove the transformers altogether.

Then you'll need to find an LED compatible dimmer/pull cord. I've heard of the Dimpul - but never used it.

The existing transformers will not work with LED lamps. The load of an LED lamp is too small for the existing transformers to work properly.

Are you sure that's right? I've seen several lighting websites say that they will work with led MR16 bulbs that ate designed to run off AC. They also say to use the equivalent wattage rather than actual when matching them to the transformer vA rating.

I'm not keen to convert to 230v as this is in the bathroom and some of the lamps are in zones 1 and 2.

If you were to do this, you would need to replace every transformer with an LED "driver" - but that is a crazy way of doing it.. You could buy a single LED driver that would cater for all of the lamps -But you'd need to rewire everything.

Replace the lamps with 230V dimmerable LEDs and remove the transformers altogether.

Then you'll need to find an LED compatible dimmer/pull cord. I've heard of the Dimpul - but never used it.

The existing transformer WILL work with LEDs (picture on the left) and will be able to supply all 8 new LED lamps of say 5 watts each. Not too sure whether it would like a dimmer though. But why would you want a dimmer in a bathroom of all places?

The existing SMPS (picture on right) is not suitable for LEDs.

Sponsored Links
The existing transformer WILL work with LEDs (picture on the left) and will be able to supply all 8 new LED lamps of say 5 watts each. Not too sure whether it would like a dimmer though. But why would you want a dimmer in a bathroom of all places?

The existing SMPS (picture on right) is not suitable for LEDs.
They're photos of the same SMPS no?

The spec for the Steeple electronic transformer is between 20VA-60VA
CLICK

So, no. Those will not work.

But go ahead. Buy one LED and try it.

I've seen several lighting websites say that they will work with led MR16 bulbs that ate designed to run off AC. They also say to use the equivalent wattage rather than actual when matching them to the transformer vA rating.

Cobblers. Current x volts = watts

It has nothing to do with the light output, imagined light efficiency or the phases of the moon.

So am I right in thinking the issue is the minimum load of 20vA not being met so the transformers won't wake up. What's to stop me wiring the LED MR16 bulbs in parallel?

Dimmer in the bathroom... because I don't like feeling like I'm on an operating table with 8 spot lights beaming down when I take a bath.

MR16 refers to the reflector, and often LED bulbs don't have a reflector so not MR16 however they may be compatible, so you look at the LED unit and it states 12 volt 50 Hz, but the power supply shown is not 50 Hz, it is likely that with a 20W load it will work, but most have a limit to the cable which can be used between the power supply and the bulb, so you could use 3 or 4 units to each power supply and it may work even if it says 50 Hz on the bulb, however it could also become a radio transmitter, and you simply don't know.

TLT50SLASH1.JPG
These transformers will work with 12 volt 50 Hz lamps power rating anywhere between 0 and 50W at £17.04 each more expensive than the switched mode power supply, but they will work, you could power 7 x 7W LED's from one transformer and no worry about it becoming a radio transmitter. Diameter is 63 mm so may not fit through the hole for lights. Not seen any smaller but there may be some.

If you look at the picture you'll get a clue. He already has 8 big holes in his T&G wooden ceiling.
How would he make those good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back