Dimmer replacement woes

Sponsored Links
Quick bit of research

http://www.varilight.co.uk/Pages/page tech t&r.htm

This unit is not suitable for 2-way switching so if it is that then the switch needs changing. It uses a master/slave relationship

The S is for connection to a slave unit and therefore not used in a single switch installation.

This unit cannot operate with wire wound transformers and turns itself off if it detects a large inductive load.

If electronic transformers are used then they may not be suitable for trailing edge dimming.

The unit is overloaded.

FootSore

Mike,
Is the plastic switch you bought just a bog standard 2way dimmer, or one of the varilight types that Footsore is talking about?

Thanks for the interest guys, so many questions please point out if i miss any..

1. I am replacing the swtich becasue the old one had a dimmer knob and it snapped off. I decide to replace it with one that doesn't have a knowb, but a touch sensor.

2. Inside there are two red wires and one black wire. I have looked to see if there is a cut back earth wire but am unable to see any sign of one.

3. Both red wires were in L1. One of the red wires I have now traced and it goes one to another light switch in the next room, as though they are wired in series.

4. It is a single switch, that operates just the main ceiling light in the room. It is the only switch that operates this light. The main ceiling light has 3 standard bulbs, they are not flourescent or special in any way.

5. The new switch is a varylight switch.

6. The new switch is now working.... but not dimming, it appears to be working as an on/off switch only. I dont know why it is now working, bec ause it wasnt earlier and I havent one anything to it since.

Sponsored Links
To be honest, I think an electrician needs to have a look at your lights, and they can advise. If the light is at least working for now, call a spark out and they will be able to sort out all your woes, including adding an Earth if it is needed. In the meantime, if you have any other metallic switches it would be advisable to change them for plastic ones with nylon screws.
Sorry about that, and you thought you were just changing a light switch! :rolleyes:

Oh! :eek:

Where does the black wire go? is that to the other switch or the light? What other wires are present at the other switch? This all sounds unusual. How does the other switch work?

A=Other Switch
B=Dimmer

If A is on light can be turned on/off from B
If A is off light cannot be turned on/off from B
If B is off light cannot be turned on from A
If B is on light can be turned on/off from A

Or do A & B operate the light regardless

Given that there are only three lights it should be within the parameters of the switch. Although it could be a faulty unit.

Unless you can work out where all the wires go I would agree with the suggestion that you call in an Electrician.

FootSore

You've lost me there footsore. I don't think its as complicated as that...

In my front room, there is one central ceiling light. It is operated by one switch, the one I am replacing. No other switch operates it.

In my back room there is one ceiling light, it is operated by one switch in the back room, no other switch operates it.

The two switches are each opposite each other, on either side of one wall.

One red wire from the switch in the front room also connects to the switch in the back room. I assume that's where it is drawing its power from.

The switches are now working, the only problem being that touching the new switch sensor either switches the lights on or switches them off. Prolonged touching of the sensor should cause the lights to dim but it doesn't.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back