Replacing dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my old dimmer has a red wire going into a terminal marked live and a blue wire going into a terminal marked load. Lastly a earth connected to the face plate which is metal.

My new dimmer (see below), has a L terminal, which I think the red wire goes into. A L1 terminal, which I think the blue wire goes into. And a N terminal, which I think I may not need. The new dimmer is plastic and the back bracket is plastic, so I’m not sure what I should do with the earth.

Any advice is much appreciated.

New dimmer is...
Konesky WiFi Smart Switch 1 Gang Smart Light Touch Control Stepless Dimmer Switch 400W Wireless Remote Control Compatible with Alexa Google Assistant IFTTT withTiming Function(Neutral Line Need)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did note when this house was rewired triple and earth cable was used for the switch drops so either two way or switches needing a neutral could be done at a latter date. However not seen that in other houses.

The neutral must come from the same protective device as the line, and should follow the same route, so adding a neutral at a latter date in the main means pulling through new cables from ceiling rose, if there is any hole through steel or iron which the cables go through then the neutral must go through same hole, i.e. if conduit used neutral must go through same conduit, it is often impossible to work out if there is conduit or not, in this house when it was rewired the electrician where possible used any trunking, capping or conduit already installed to reduce redecorating required, however he also fitted switches lower to cater for mother in a wheel chair, so it would be impossible without chasing all the way up the wall to know is steel conduit was used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back