Dimmer/rocker light switch combo - a question

Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
951
Reaction score
12
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dimmer/rocker combo, this:


however, I need the dimmer's rotary knob to have some resistance or to click as it turns so that when I push the knob to turn the lights on and off I don't accidentally adjust the brightness of the lights. The one above rotates far too easily and I end up turning it a bit every time it's used.
 
Is there a reason for wanting a separate rocker switch? Most dimmer switches operate on/off and rotary combined.
 
If you have dimmer switch that means you want to adjust the brightness of the light, have it set to different levels at different times.

What's the big deal with having to twiddle the knob because it's accidentally been changed from the previous setting vs having to twiddle the knob because you want it at a different setting?
 
Is there a reason for wanting a separate rocker switch? Most dimmer switches operate on/off and rotary combined.
Sorry, I should have explained - the dimmer switch is for the overhead spotlights in my kitchen - these used to be standard non-dimmable spots but now I want to add dimmable 'warm' (2700K) spots and adjust accordingly.

The rocker switch is for some small under-cupboard flourescent strip lights.

The old switch plate is just two rocker switches.
 
If you have dimmer switch that means you want to adjust the brightness of the light, have it set to different levels at different times.

What's the big deal with having to twiddle the knob because it's accidentally been changed from the previous setting vs having to twiddle the knob because you want it at a different setting?

The problem is that I want to avoid slightly adjusting the knob knob's rotation as I push the switch to turn the lights on/off - this knob rotates easily so every time it's pressed it will accidentally rotate a bit and so adjust how I've set the brightness, which will be annoying.
 
The problem is that I want to avoid slightly adjusting the knob knob's rotation as I push the switch to turn the lights on/off - this knob rotates easily so every time it's pressed it will accidentally rotate a bit and so adjust how I've set the brightness, which will be annoying.
Yes , i've seen that issue and can see how it's a little annoying

Maybe look up the dimmers on Screwfix or Amazon and post questions asking if the brightness changes when pressing it ?
 
Sorry, I should have explained - the dimmer switch is for the overhead spotlights in my kitchen - these used to be standard non-dimmable spots but now I want to add dimmable 'warm' (2700K) spots and adjust accordingly.

The rocker switch is for some small under-cupboard flourescent strip lights.
Maybe separate the 2? Even maybe use an architrave switch if room is limited?
 
Oops forgot that , you've the dimmer and another switch so options would be limited as currently setup.
 

You do wonder about some people....

1790691854618.png
 
The problem is that I want to avoid slightly adjusting the knob knob's rotation as I push the switch to turn the lights on/off - this knob rotates easily so every time it's pressed it will accidentally rotate a bit and so adjust how I've set the brightness, which will be annoying.

Oh dear.


Maybe look up the dimmers on Screwfix or Amazon and post questions asking if the brightness changes when pressing it ?

Or find a dimmer which has a rotary switch, not a push one. They are very often held onto the faceplate by a thin nut on the variable resistor, and easily swappable.


Oops forgot that , you've the dimmer and another switch so options would be limited as currently setup.

2G grid with a dimmer module, and a switch module.
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top