dimmer switch and timer fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to get an in line timer fan which will not 'dim' if a dimmer switch is used to control the lights?

The existing scenario is that the at the switch (dimmer) there is switch line only. JB in the loft for the permanent and switched live to fan. Client wants no damage to walls, so the only thing I can think of is to put the fan on it's own pullcord (ie not to have it linked to the lights) but it would be better if there's a fan out there which will work with the lights, but without 'dimming'. I seem to recall seeing one somewhere that had some sort of control panel, but this was a through the wall one.... and it was some years back, so can't remember make etc

Can anyone help?

SB

Sponsored Links
Bump....

I'm assuming that it's not a good thing to have a fan on a dimmer? Can't think it does the dimmer much good or am I mistaken??

SB

As you suggest, the dimmer and possibly the fan electronics (if it has electronics) will be damaged sooner or later.

I can only offer three suggestions:

1) change the dimmer for a switch.
2) use a contactor with a coil designed to operate at between 50 - 230 volts (I have used such contactors many years ago but do not know if they are available now)
3) Can't you get a dimmer which also incorporates a single pole switch?

Of course there are simple ways to do this with electronics but it would take time and tricky to keep it reliable and compliant with elect regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back