Dimmer Switch Appears to be Broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Probably covered at some point in the forum, but couldn't find it...

My son's bedroom dimmer switch is a rotary switch & has always worked fine. It clicks positively when you switch it on or off & rotates smoothly.

As of tonight it no longer clicks on or off, and would not dim or brighten unless you continually turned the knob.

Now, however, it is no longer responding at all.

I assume I need a new switch?

I am an electrical novice, should I be attempting to replace this on my own? Don't really fancy getting someone in for a trivial job...

Any help appreciated as always,
Gaz

Sponsored Links
Yes, replace it yourself. Remember to replicate the connections identically.

I'm no electrician, but I can replace a light switch - it's pretty straightforward and you just need to be absolutely sure you can isolate it. This means turning off the fuse to that circuit. It should be a 6A fuse on your fuse box, hopefully labelled. All you need is a neon tester screwdriver which you can buy for a few pounds when you get the switch if you don't have one, replace like for like and copy what's already there, usually red to C and black to L1, make sure all connections are tight and job done. Check it's not live before disconnecting any wires.

Gaz, as an 'electrical novice', you shouldn't be attempting this difficult task. So, get your son to do it. It's his bedroom afterall. Why should you put your life at risk? If he's old enough to have his own room, then he's old enough to use a small screwdriver........

Lucia.

Sponsored Links
Ok, that's me told!!!

Thanks for the wise words, esp Lucia.

Will make sure life insurance is well sorted before I attempt this monster task then!!!

Cheers Guys
:LOL:

Gaz: I can always depend on someone from The Kingdom of Fife to have a good sense of humour......

Don't forget to switch off that circuit before replacing the dimmer, dear......

Lucia.

Unless it is mechanically a good screwdriver (and I don't believe any of them are) then no - it is not an ideal tool for anybody,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back