Dimmer switch buzzing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm attempting to replace a 1-gang dimmer switch that broke. I wired up the new switch and switched it on to test, but when doing so I noticed a buzzing noise coming from the black box at the back of the switch that holds all the electronic gubbins. Is this cause for concern? I'm very much a newbie and want to make sure I don't accidentally burn my house down!

If it helps, the noise is similar to what you hear when you stand under a pylon. It's most noticable when the dimmer's on low, but it's always audible as long as it's switched on to some degree.

The new switch is rated for loads of 60-250w (same as the previous one), and there's a single 100w bulb in the light. The old switch is 200-250v and this one's 230-240v, but I assume this is fine as google tells me UK mains is 230v? I've also wiggled the wires a little to make sure they're not coming loose!

Edit: This is the switch, if that helps!

Sponsored Links
I have in the past found the coiled coil of a bulb can react to the frequency of switching of a dimmer, swapping make of bulb would normally cure the problem. The noise means some thing in the switch is vibrating so could cause wear, but in real terms never had a problem with one making a noise, in the main ionisation (bulb failing with a flash) with MCB protection means the MCB does not act fast enough to protect the electronics, so my dimmer switches either failed or the bulbs were replaced with CFL (compact fluorescent lamps) which could not be dimmed, so until the LED lamp dimmers were a problem, so now only dimmers are built into table lamps, and although I have a small stock of pearl tungsten bulbs, this is reducing and can't be replaced, the quartz lamp should not be dimmed as it reduces the life of the bulb, and the LED lamp does not change colour when dimmed so fails to give the ambiance associated with dimmed bulbs.

So it seems if we want dimming switches today we need ones designed to go down to at least 5 watt, 60 watt is far too high. Today you can't buy suitable bulbs, either they are quartz which you should not dim or well below 60 watt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back