Dimmer switch change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a metal dimmer switch in my bedroom that isn't work. I have purchased a new one. I have changed a switch before from a normal on/off switch To a dimmer and it was a straight swap.

But this time my old dimmer is metal and has a metal backing plate. It also has an earth from the switch into the backing plate.

My new dimmer is plastic and has no where for an earth. Does it need to be earthed? Should I just take the old earth out?

Baring in mind it would appear that I am screwing a plastic dimmer into a metal backing plate.

Many thanks

David

Sponsored Links
If the dimmer is fitted to a metal box ,sunk into the wall ,the earth conductor /s should be connected to the earth terminal on the metal box .

Both ends of it ? Because currently one end is on the backing plate and one end is on the back of the dimmer

Sponsored Links
It's in the wall plate (the bracket that sits in the wall) and the other end is in the back of the dimmer switch plate itself

That sounds like just the link from the backbox to the switch, not the actual earth, is there any other earth wires which come down with the main cables in the actual wall, a picture of the back box or the "Bracket" you refer to may be helpfull

It's in the wall plate (the bracket that sits in the wall) and the other end is in the back of the dimmer switch plate itself
If one end of a conductor is in the back box, and the other end is in the switch, then that conductor is not in the cable, is it.

upload_2018-1-14_0-5-25.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back