Standard Light Switch > Metal Dimmer - HELP please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I\\\'m currently attempting to replace a standard white single switch light switch with a metal dimmer switch, at the minute I have made a hole in my wall covered with duck tape.

I got stumped over the Earth Wire. When I took the plastic face off, the earth wire was fastened to a screw at the back of the old metal box casing. Now my new dimmer face has a specific input for an earth wire ..So do I keep the earth wire connected to the back box, OR connect it to the earth input thing on the dimmer plate. Also, there were three wires coming from my socket, an earth and two reds - I assume these are both lives - now on the instructions for my dimmer, it spoke of an earth, a live, and a \\\'Switched Live\\\' wire. Both my wires are red, are they both the same?

From reading the instructions I get the impression that the ground wire needs to be connected to the back box AND the switch plate? is this probable?

I would really appreciate any help, as I feel like an ass, telling the old girl I could handle this job.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Jack, this has been covered many times before and you will find much help in the For Reference stuff at the top.

live and switched live - usually connect them either way around. Some dimmers are sensitive to this though, so if it doesn't work, reverse the connections.

You're lucky someone has wired your switch drop in double red - stops DIYers thinking they have a neutral at the switch . . . . ;)

Thanks,

So I think I need another Earth wire to connect to the input on the plate to the terminal on the box! Thnx

Also, I've checked the FAQ and I cant find a specific answer to my next question.

I've bought a spot-light bar with 4 x 50W 'GU10' Halogen Bulbs, do you think the dimmer switch will be compatible with this light setup?

Many Thanks

Jack

Sponsored Links
if your back box has a 'fixed' matal screw lug you don't have to take the earth to the box as the fixing screw with provide the earthing however it can't do any harm. if you have two adjustable lugs you must earth the box.

i would take the earth of the cable to the plate switch and then to the box

you gu10 lights will be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back