Metal dimmer switch, earth question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have read through alot of posts before posting this and i just need confirmation. A couple of months ago i fitted a metal face dimmer switch in my living room but didnt attach the earth to it, would this be the reason it stopped dimming (just turned on and off)?

Anyway i brought a new one and read the instructions properly this time, which told me that metal face dimmers must be earthed. There are 2 red wires in the box which i connected to L1 AND C and the earth wire connected to the wall box.

My question is can i just unscrew the earth from the wall box and screw it on the dimmer switch? or get a seperate earth wire (1mm) like i read and connect it 2 both? this seems abit confusing for me as i didnt get any extra earth wire with the dimmer and havnt got any spare laying around.

Ive already fitted the new dimmer about half an hour ago and it works but i know i should have done something with the earth so im just leaving it off for now.

Also im wondering why i havnt got an electric shock in the past and now, how ive never fitted the earth, strange?

Please help me out when u can, so i can switch the light back on :) cheers

Sponsored Links
Connect the earth wire to the switch.

With metal faces accessories, theres a small risk that a wire can come out of its hole and make the switch plate live. Clearly this risk doesn't exist with plastic accessories (except the screws, which are by their nature connected to earth via the backbox).

When using metal faced accessories, the priority should be given to earthing the faceplate, if you can find any spare copper wire knocking about, link it to the backbox too, though IMO this is belt-and-braces.

And no this isn't the reason it would have stopped dimming. It was broken. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
hi RF Lighting, thanks for your input, would you not suggest number 2 then? and do u know why number 1 hasnt gave me an electric shock yet? cheers

If I suggested number 2, I'd have written that :rolleyes:

Numbers 1 & 2 are wrong. That is why I did not suggest them.

You have not had a shock from your existing setup through good luck, rather than from having a safe installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back