dimmer switch query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my hallway there are two celing lights - both are controlled simultaneously by two different switches. I have replaced one of the switches with a dimmer switch. The new dimmer works perfectly, but the old switch no longer works.

I checked where ALL the wires went and reconnected them correctly ( or at least i thought so) there were no spare wires. Obviously i disconnected the other switch, but how? And how canI recoonect it?

I assume there must be a simple solution to this - any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes, you have dissconeted it.

i bet there was a wire linking the two

No there wasn't - i took careful note of all the wires and where they went. There was only 1 each of live, neutral and earth.

didau said:
No there wasn't - i took careful note of all the wires and where they went. There was only 1 each of live, neutral and earth.

well that is wrong for a start

a switch has live and switched live, no neutral

as it did work and now deos not, it must be something you have done, only i have no idea what.

you could:

check you havent broken a wire,
check to see is one loose
swap the old switch with the one you took away

Sponsored Links
a switch has live and switched live, no neutral - ? You've lost me. Live (the red wire) went into L2 and Neutal (the blue wire) went into a connector marked with a wavy line crossed through wth a diagonal arrow. What is "switched live"?

check you havent broken a wire - no boken wires
check to see is one loose - no loose wires
swap the old switch with the one you took away- tried it already: both switches work again.

Am out of ideas

Well, if the old switch works when you replace it, there must be a problem with the new switch.

didau said:
a switch has live and switched live, no neutral - ? You've lost me. Live (the red wire) went into L2 and Neutal (the blue wire) went into a connector marked with a wavy line crossed through wth a diagonal arrow. What is "switched live"?

check you havent broken a wire - no boken wires
check to see is one loose - no loose wires
swap the old switch with the one you took away- tried it already: both switches work again.

Am out of ideas

THAT BLUE WIRE IS NOT NEUTRAL. IT IS SWITCHED LIVE. It should have a brown sleeve or tape on it to indicate thus.

There MUST be another wire in order for 2-way switching to be possible. How do the 2 switches operate? Does one have to be on for the other to work?

didau said:
In my hallway there are two celing lights - both are controlled simultaneously by two different switches. I have replaced one of the switches with a dimmer switch. The new dimmer works perfectly, but the old switch no longer works.

I checked where ALL the wires went and reconnected them correctly ( or at least i thought so) there were no spare wires. Obviously i disconnected the other switch, but how? And how canI recoonect it?

I assume there must be a simple solution to this - any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by didau on Sun Sep 17, 2006 09:12, edited 1 time in total

editing after your intial post to change the facts is not a good idea, you never mentioned a blue wire before

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back